Nuendo feature requests for post production.

Hi all,

firstly I must confess that I am a Pro Tools convert and that maybe I shouldn’t be asking Nuendo to do PT tasks and just accept that different apps do different things. However, there are many things that I was so used to in PT which I’m struggling without and things that I think would improve Nuendo, which I do think is amazing in many ways.

There are also things that may be possible that I just don’t know how to do, so if any one has any ways to get any of these requests to work with macros/preferences etc, please let me know.

Automation:
-Smaller dots on automation lanes rather than the quite clunky squares.
-Nudge automation using snap value and use nudge quick keys, rather than dragging a selection with the mouse
-Automation: please make it easier to adjust a block of automation and automation for the whole track
-Automation: please enable more precise increment adjustments say by holding the shift key, sometimes this works other times it doesn’t for me anyway.

Mix Console:
-To be able to delete tracks from the mix console
-To be able move tracks around in mix console
-To be able to rename tracks in the mix console
-To be able to scroll in the mix window, without changing the fader positions - this is a must!!
-To be able to set the input for a group as physical input - for say Talkback

Display options:
-importing audio from media bay, can there be a visual alert if it’s overlapping another event in the timeline, can the length of the file be displayed on the timeline as say a shadow or an outline?
-Display event gain value (in dB) on the actual event, this would help to quickly visualise multiple events simultaneously on the timeline

Routing:
-Routing: Please implement being able to route the output or send from a group to audio tracks for printing, so I could send to an audio track at -6db for example - there could be a way to do this that I’m missing. I know you can use direct routing but can you adjust the level?

Naming:
-The project file name would be the same as the project name when saving by default, rather than having to re-type in the save file
-A quick way to rename an event rather than going into the info bar every time, a quick key maybe - especially helpful when doing multiple events manually

• -or be able to manually rename in the event editor as a list, this would be helpful for different versions with out a csv file
    -Event naming - remove brackets for original file name, maybe just have as a toggle option or show in the info bar, also apply when exporting printed tracks with just description - the original file name is not needed

Project misc:
-Folder for backups rather than loose files
-Shortcut to open last project
-bringing in left and right sides of an audio file on to one track as a stereo file - same applies to AAF imports, I realise that you can consolidate on to new tracks but this could be a lot easier by dragging two sides onto one track.
-if I duplicate tracks, could there be an option to duplicate the track with events or just the actual track with it’s settings and routing etc, like the option in PT

Markers:
-Export cycle markers to 1 new track rather than multiple / maybe combine with export range selection as block events but with cycle marker names to one track?
-Implement easier marker recall similar to Pro Tools - helpful for markers above numbered above 9

Navigation:
-Jump to and select next event (CMD + TAB in PT) when the cursor is just in the timeline and no other event is selected.
-Jump to/find/centre cursor, particularly useful if it’s off screen
-Improve scrub for finding clicks, more volume, higher definition - this could be/probably is an error on my part.
-go to previous selection/cursor position (OPT + CMD +Z in PT) - this is extremely useful, have also requested Izotope implement this in RX

Fade Behaviour:
-To be able to drag the fade of an event out beyond the confines of the event without pulling out the bottom
-option to toggle: to be able to spit/trim front or end at cursor in the middle of a fade and to have the current fade start/stop there rather than moving the whole fade region back/forward within the event.
-Edit basic fade shape by clicking and dragging within the event’s fade area

maybe… just a suggestion… start reading the manual?

:unamused:

-Nudge automation using snap value and use nudge quick keys, rather than dragging a selection with the mouse

You can do that with shortcuts, but you’ll have to give this feature the shortcut you want.

-To be able to rename tracks in the mix console

A double click on the name.

-To be able to scroll in the mix window, without changing the fader positions - this is a must!!

Could you explained, I’m afraid I don’t understand.

-To be able to set the input for a group as physical input - for say Talkback

In Nuendo, you have a Control Room that help, for this you could have a great benefit to read the manual as it is very powerful and too long to explain here. You have no need to make the TB in the mix console (as I did myself in Pro Tools).

-A quick way to rename an event rather than going into the info bar every time, a quick key maybe - especially helpful when doing multiple events manually

You have a “Rename first selected event” in the shortcut list.

-Event naming - remove brackets for original file name, maybe just have as a toggle option or show in the info bar, also apply when exporting printed tracks with just description - the original file name is not needed

-Folder for backups rather than loose files

Already requested. Please, add your vote : https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=292&t=200330

-Shortcut to open last project

What I do : Hub is active (pref/General). In the Hub, I navigate very quickly in the projects and folders with the arrow keys.

-bringing in left and right sides of an audio file on to one track as a stereo file - same applies to AAF imports, I realise that you can consolidate on to new tracks but this could be a lot easier by dragging two sides onto one track.

You can do that with only one shortcut (Audio/Convert Track…).

-if I duplicate tracks, could there be an option to duplicate the track with events or just the actual track with it’s settings and routing etc, like the option in PT

You can do that with only one shortcut. There is a macro for this (or did I did one long time ago ?). If it doesn’t exist in your macro’s list, tell me.

-Implement easier marker recall similar to Pro Tools - helpful for markers above numbered above 9

You can do that with a shortcut : search for “To Marker X” and “To Cycle Marker X” to locate, and “Recall Cycle Marker X” to cycle. Shortcut, and hen enter the marker’s number.

-Jump to and select next event (CMD + TAB in PT) when the cursor is just in the timeline and no other event is selected.

“B” and “N”.

-Jump to/find/centre cursor, particularly useful if it’s off screen

I use G then H (zoom in zoom out). But you can make a macro.

Fade Behaviour:
-To be able to drag the fade of an event out beyond the confines of the event without pulling out the bottom
-option to toggle: to be able to spit/trim front or end at cursor in the middle of a fade and to have the current fade start/stop there rather than moving the whole fade region back/forward within the event.
-Edit basic fade shape by clicking and dragging within the event’s fade area

+1

It’s not a bad list to be honest.
There’s quite a few good/important ones in that list.
It clearly shows the PT user background though.

With that said: yes you need to learn the program a bit better as sifting through your list and explaining how to do a lot of them is a pretty big job.
Also note that many things on your list has already been requested in the past. We all want “our” needed features to be added first. :slight_smile:

If you redo it as a numbered list I’d take on actually commenting on bits of it.

I agree with Jean-Michel and Erik.

A quick addition;

I’m not sure what you’re missing. I think you probably have to rethink how things work in Nuendo-world. I sort of look at the “bus” in Pro Tools as essentially not existing, and instead what we have is the combination of a Pro Tools “bus” and “aux” into one item (meaning with inserts etc).

So with that in mind you could choose to set for example output channels as “targets” for your mixes and stems. On those targets you can drop the level as you see fit, or adjust your pan law globally (though I think you should be careful with this since the direct outs 2-8 won’t follow that), or adjust your sends to those outputs. Choose “no output” for those outputs and then you choose those output channels as inputs on your print-tracks.

It seems unwieldly and weird because you all of a sudden see all those “buses”+“auxes” whereas in PT you never actually see the buses.

So with that in mind I also recommend making good use of visibility options where you can toggle views of different channel types in the mixer, or set up different mixers for different purposes etc.

Thank you for all your input guys! Particularly Jean-Michel, lots of helpful tips in there (vote added for backups), and Mattias for the targets suggestion.

Definitely right about reading the manual thoroughly, not to mention getting more involved with Nuendo helping on a daily basis - I was just looking for some quick suggestions whilst I’ve got jobs going on and still transitioning from PT.

Thanks for the help and advice, much appreciated