Nuendo file/folder placement

Hi,

just bought a shiny new M3 MacBook Pro to replace my 10 year old (!) one. Finally a chance to clean up all the crud and keep things organized and tidy from day 1.

But no, Nuendo insists every time I start it on setting up a folder structure in my Documents folder. Seems to be just presets and MIDI Remote settings. I don’t want it there, have read through the Fine Manual ™, searched the forum here and the interwebs. No luck.

How can I tell Nuendo to put those files somewhere else (ideally in a location I define, but really presets could just as well go in ~/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Nuendo).

I see that there are a few programs that seem to want to clutter my ~/Documents folder in the same way, which is not at all what I want.

Can anyone point me to the right preference, script or setting to change this?

Thanks!

Thor

I used the Steinberg Library Manager app, to move all the sound content to an external samples drive. I imagine there you can also change the location of the presets folder. I’d RTFM if I were you, to see if that is possible through this app. I am happy having the settings and presets on my system drive. Just not the GB of samples.

See pic. You click on the TINY “settings” wheel on the top right end of the menu bar, here in blue.It drops a small text area where you can browse to the drive / folder you want the samples to live. I also see in the “Flux” that you can move that as well, although I am not so sure what that is, since I have not messed with it.

Cheers

Hi noEQplease,

thanks for your reply and suggestion. You may have missed the part where I wrote that I had in fact read the manual and looked through both it and online forums to find an answer.

Your suggested fix works great for libraries, but doesn’t help with the issue I raised.

I’m happy that 90% of app developers put folders where they belong (out of site in ~/Library/Application Support/, sometimes in ~/Library/Preferences/) or allow the user to specify where to store things.

Not nearly as happy that my clean and decluttered ~/Documents keeps getting spammed by Steinberg, insisting it store User Presets and MIDI remote data there.

Does anyone know how to change the path set? Surely we aren’t using hard coded paths in 2023…?

Thanks.