Nuendo in 23

Back on track what could we realistically see in Nuendo some of the ideas sound possible but maybe not all are practical.
I would like to see increased Atmos integration simplified setup for beds and channels also refined integration with Dolby Atmos Bridge also a less cluttered Gui interface within the software

1 Like

Our job is to be users - not developers. To reveal what we want even if we donā€™t know whether or not our wishes/needs can be met. Let it be Steinbergā€™s job to disappoint us if they have to - instead of ours to never hope for anything.

I canā€™t see any reason why there needs to be a price on this forum for expressing hope/optimism - the same price an economist pays for being the only one who says there wonā€™t be a recession - or the price that the IT administrator paid fifteen years ago - or even now? - for recommending something other than Microsoft products (who is then made to wear the blame every time even the tiniest thing goes wrong).

For the ā€œhome of dialogueā€ it would be nice to have all metadata in mxf (aaf) files, so we can finaly see all the track names for tallents that were inputed in field recordersā€¦ Just saying.

1 Like

DOP preview POST CLIP GAIN pleaseeee

1 Like

At the low end here ā€¦ most of my work involves ā€™sorting outā€™ a mess of imported audio elements so that tracks make sense and itā€™s easier to manage bussing/stems. In fact itā€™s not unknown to me that this takes longer than the mix!!!

So I want project organizational tools.

1: Have Track ā€œRole ā€œ names next to the track name ( a column) for Dialog, FX, Music etc

2: Be able sort track order by Track Name , Track Role etc

3: Right click on an Event and have Move To ā€¦ command and a list of Tracks to select a destination. Obviously this doesnā€™t move audio in the time domain! Please donā€™t suggest dragging or cut/ pasteā€¦ I know how to do it currently and it can go wrong too easily.

4: Have tracks that are Mono / Stereo/ Multichannel agnostic and be able to activate / deactivate streams in an event with. Context selection.

5: Have the DOP panel in the lower zone always visible if I want.

Although it gets a bad rap I have actually done my last projects just using the built in tools of Final Cut Pro ( X ā€¦ yes the video editor ) and I have to say that once the audio intricacies are fully understood it is way faster to get to Mix . It clearly isnā€™t for the surround, Atmos, autoconform , MIDI , projects ( and it isnā€™t going to import OMF/AAF ) but some of the ways it presents audio and then sorts it is ingenious.

The Voice Isolation tool is miraculousā€¦consistently beats out every other NR tool I have ( many ), almost no artifacting even at full intensity

Ok Iā€™m off topic now.

1 Like

I think this is mostly solved by properly naming tracks in a template.

I get that you want to have organisational tools but most are already possible. In addition to what @MattiasNYC said

If you have a template (in which you import the tracks) than you can also have folders.
So you wonā€™t need to sort because you can simply drag them in a folder. (Use track search to find them).

This already possible, i have a macro for it. Search the manual (and the forum too).

However. Point 4 and 5 sound very useful!

1 Like

As others have pointed out, already doable. I mapped mine to F12. Select event(s), select destination track, hit F12. Only downside over PT up/down keyboard shortcuts is that I usually need the mouse to select target track. I think adding PT style up/down would be a nice option so you can stay on keyboard, but there are more important wishlist items.

That would certainly be nice. It does create some complications with the panners. You already can drag mismatched events on tracks, but the channel mapping can get screwed up in some combinations. I think that is easily solvable and kept clean with a good template.

That said, it would be nice if you could change the channel count of existing track. That way, if I had a mono fx track, and now needed a stereo companion for some other library material, I wouldnā€™t have to set it up from scratch, but could duplicate the mono track, inheriting all plugins and routings, and then just change it to stereo.

Along that line, actually a command to duplicate a track without data. I have a macro setup for that, but it seems wasteful to first copy all those events to then throw them away. So many gaps in Nuendo have been patched with macros, which is fine, but it just goes against the grain how backwards some of these macros have to work

Maybe just allow all the different editors to be dockable at the bottom. Not just DOP but markers, automation are obvious other candidates.

I would love to be able to embed markers in exported WAVs. Having to go via Reaper to add markers is a colossal PITA.

2 Likes

Just a philosophical note to the ( quire correct ) responses that some suggestion can be achieved with macros or building templates or multi step workarounds.

I think a better user experience could be achieved by surfacing such action as easily accessible single click options. No need for new users ( especially new ones ā€¦ think students) to have to churn trying to work out how do something the software can clearly do .

Every click / keystroke saved adds up over the course of an edit.

Oh and while I only suggested the idea of ā€˜Rolesā€™ tagging in a per Track context, the real power comes when itā€™s done per Event. Then the users could do processing, bussing, timeline arrangement etc by Role.

Iā€™ve used it in another app ā€¦ it works.

1 Like

Now that Dolby Atmos has been integrated into Nuendo, the next logical step would be to move to an object-based approach (like Sequoia).

Does REAPER store them in the wave header? Because that seems to be what WaveLab does. So it should be possible to integrate this into Nuendo too. :innocent:

The next logical step would be for Sequoia to get Dolby Atmos :rofl:
(please excuse the OT).

Actually, itā€™s worth mentioning that in the Sequoia context, an ā€œobjectā€ is not like an Atmos object. Itā€™s Magix speak for every event/clip having all the same parameters as a track/channel, incl plugins and aux sends and surround panning.

1 Like

Direct Offline Processing in Nuendo is kind of like Object-based processing in Sequoia.

Moreso If Nuendo got PQ encoding etc and DDP2 Export module Iā€™d probably favour it for Mastering - but then again Steiny want to separate those things into Wavelab

But a way to Master Dolby Atmos is needed and something Iā€™d be interested to see developed

One does not exclude the other. :wink:

But it would also be helpful for Atmos if there were a similar approach in Nuendo. If each event could be adjusted in a way that is otherwise only possible for a whole track.

I would also like to take this opportunity to say that I am in favour of giving Nuendo an Atmos-compatible 9.1.6 layout. Even if the internal Atmos renderer remains in 7.1.4. :innocent:

Freeze Groups (multi freeze)

1 Like

Yes you just have to enable marker export, itā€™s very easy. So easy in fact Iā€™m stunned that weā€™re still unable to do this in Nuendo!

1 Like

Maybe the WaveLab developers should show the Nuendo developers how to integrate this function into the programme? :joy:

I would like to have more access to metadata in Nuendo anyway. Yes, we are probably the only ones, but to read/edit Dolby Atmos metadata, we currently have to use a separate program.

And itā€™s almost a scandal that a DAW from a German company doesnā€™t support MPEG-H. Yes, you can get the necessary appls directly from Fraunhofer IIS. But if it were integrated directly into Nuendo, it would certainly help the format. (At the moment, nobody really seems to want to use MPEG-H. Even though it has many advantages over Atmos.)

Copy Pan Automation, Copy All Automation, Copy Plugin Automation like in Protools. It is actually a big reason, why pro tools people dislike Nuendo. And I agree, you should be able to make a selection, and copy for example the pan automation and paste it on other tracks. I need it like 1000 times a day.

3 Likes

Just putting my 2 cents into what Iā€™d like in 23ā€¦

Feature Requests:

• insert aliases?
  • ā€˜select allā€™ in export range ā€˜cycle markersā€™ dialog (and make the marker list window bigger or sizable)
  • assign insert presets to a list of pre-defined favourites (eg 1-10) and then be able to assign to a shortcut to load for selected track
  • metronome level, assign to a controller
  • Loudness report after ADM export? (with a ā€˜please donā€™t show me this againā€™ just incase Iā€™m the only one who would find this useful!)

A few basic bugs:

• ATMOS true peak monitoring is incorrect (it does not use the 5.1 folddown as per spec, so when monitoring in 7.1.4 is can show a lower peak than actual)
  • 2 tracks assigned to a group, duplicating creates 2 new tracks assigned to a new group. Except they are still routed to the old group (despite showing the new group in the output routing). This didnā€™t used to happenā€¦
  • random screen flicker. This only happens in Nuendo. Fixed by changing zoom but a bit frustratingā€¦
  • control room insert routing doesnā€™t recall correctly
  • track names disappeasring from mixer view. Fix is to close and re-open mixer but stillā€¦
  • editing audio files externally, especially when changing length, can sometimes create huge spikes in playback within Nuendo where Nuendo thinks the audio ends (spike is not present in audio file). Maybe a function in pool to ā€˜re-importā€™ source audio?

Totally agree