Nuendo on Win 10 for serious work?

Check out HP Z Workstations, where a lot of former mac pro users have gone. Z Workstation Desktops and Laptops - Z by HP | HP® Official Site

Autohotkey is one such application. You can use it to remap the Windows key to anything you like.

Ah, I see.
My problem is that I have 4 modifier keys on mac (that my key commands use) ctrl, alt, cmd and shift
The PC has only 3.
Can I somehow emulate to have 4 modifiers on pc?

If you remap the Windows key, you will have 4 modifiers, however, only on the left hand side of the keyboard on the vast majority of keyboards.

True, but you can still remap the left AND right Windows keys if you want additional modifiers on the right of the keyboard.

In terms of actually achieving the additional modifier, I guess you would do something like remap the Windows key to Alt+Shift or Ctrl+Alt+Shift. You would just need to think of something that doesn’t interfere with your existing use of modifiers.

FYI, I used macs in my studio for years. Made the switch to PC 4 years ago and definitely no regrets. I use Cubase rather than Nuendo but my system is absolutely rock solid (and I only missed the additional modifier key for a couple of months!)

I used to build all of my computers. Started having less time and had ADK put one together for me. I had very specific ideas that I wanted implemented. They did a nice job putting my machine together. Some of the unique things for this computer - dual boot (separate SSDs), multiple drives mirrored (RAID), 4 monitors, RME card, UAD card. Coming up on 4 yrs with this computer and it still works well.

My only complaint is that some of the HDs failed. Although I don’t think that is ADK’s fault. They were Seagates. I replaced them with WD Re Datacenter drives - which have been fine. They cost more, but they’re designed to last longer. And I didn’t loose anything as they were all raided (mirrored) drives.

-Tom

Hi Oliver,

I can also recommend Xi-Machines. We at Steinberg get most of our workstations from them, for our in-house studio, our QA-Labors and also for trade shows e.g. Musikmesse. Usually when customers ask us for recommendations for a computer to use our programs, we always recommend Xi-Machines.

All the best,

Or…you can use this keyboard. I’ve been using this with Nuendo for ever and I believe Fredo has these in all their studios.

As a freelancer who works in a lot of studios on Pro Tools where you sometimes have to know key commands that have 4 keys being able to assign anything in Nuendo to one key stroke is great.
The 18 keys on the side are fully programmable and also have 3 layers resulting in 54 single key, key commands.

All studios where we don’t have a Nuage.
:slight_smile:

Fredo

We are kind of in a similar situation as Oliver is.
But we have 3 studios sharing the projects (for now via external drives / copy pasting the projects, network solution is in the making).

Has anyone got any problems considering project sharing or significant workflow changes when using WIN and MAC on one project back and forth?
(we are planing to upgrade one of the studios for now, a complete switch to WIN in all studios might happen later in a couple of month or even years)

Obviously all your used plugs need to be available on both platforms, also it’s a good idea to make sure your audio files don’t use special characters like ßÖÄÜ€. The Mac can be a real pain when it comes to network shares with windows. The samba implementation has been far from perfect in the past and I have come across serious problems in a big windows network at a huge production company where I could not access directories on their platforms. Not even the IT department could solve it.
If you plan to use hdds with your sessions on both mac and win the drive format might be a thing to consider. I don’t know how HFS+, NTFS or ExFAT perform in terms of access times, data throughput and security of your work, but I have this feeling that working from the same drive with different operating systems would be asking for trouble. Maybe you would have to work with local copies. That requires a clever backup/copy/update system…
Actually I had not thought about this yet, we have 2 identical cheese graters here and although we hardly ever move sessions between the rooms it is a thing that sometimes happens.

And don’t forget that no sounds can use either “:” or “/” in filenames. And yes even today with modern character encoding umlauts can cause issues as can drive format types and not to forget server storage platforms.

It really ought to be easier…