Nuendo vs. Wavelab

Guys hi,

I am prospective buyer of Nuendo and have a great difficulty discerning a real difference between Nuendo and Wavelab in terms of budgeting.

I would like to switch my production flow to the Steinberg production suite, if I may call it so, and would like to know the real difference between Nuendo and Wavelab. Namely, if I purchase the Nuendo will I need the Wavelab?

Now, forgive my ignorance, but the reason I am asking this is following:

http://sound-editing-software.findthebest.com/compare/49-79/Steinberg-Nuendo-vs-Steinberg-WaveLab

While researching, I stumbled upon the website above and found out that most of the applications in Wavelab already exist in Nuendo.

Can somebody please comment on this?

Nuendo and Wavelab are simply not comparable. Nuendo and Cubase would be comparable. Although Wavelab can do multitrack it is designed as a stereo editor, cd burner and mastering editor and you would probably find it cumbersome, slow and limited as a music production tool. It would be like comparing a hammer to a screwdriver. They are both great tools but donā€™t do the same thing.

Dean

Hello nojukebox,

thanks for your interest in our products.

As Rickard mentioned, Nuendo and WaveLab basically are intended to be used in different environments.
While WaveLab is a music mastering, analysis and audio error correction application typically used for
audio (pre)mastering and refinement, Nuendo is a comprehensive post-production software used in
film/TV/ADR/game audio and professional music studio environments.

I recommend to check out the following short descriptions on both products:

Why Nuendo website: http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/nuendo_range/nuendo/why_nuendo.html
Why WaveLab website: WaveLab: Audio Mastering Software | Steinberg

Please PM me in case you have any further questions, Iā€™m glad to help.

Best,
Timo

1 Like

For my own edification as a newbie, I realize the Nuendo interface resembles Cubase, but functionally, Cubase is a DAW/for production, while Nuendo (tho can be used as a DAW) and WaveLab at a high level, are both designated as post-production sound editing tools (correct?), so why wouldnā€™t those be comparable? Or is the ? why is Nuendo called a ā€œpost-productionā€ tool when itā€™s feasible to use it for production? Thx! Also wondering if it can be used for mastering.

Cubase is a music production software.
Nuendo is that as well (has all the features of Cubase) and also does post-production for film, TV, games etc. Post production (or just post) is a term that deals with those industries, specifically with what happens in the studio post-shooting, both with audio and visuals.

This means integration with film editing pipelines, video, dialogue recording and re-recording (for dubbing), Foley, multi-channel output (Atmos) etc.
These things are done by different people and studios than the ones who are doing the music. Itā€™s a specialized field and it makes sense for the musician to have a ā€œsimplerā€ and cheaper app like Cubase.

Wavelab does audio editing and mastering (the final step before your produced music is delivered).

Hereā€™s a video that shows beginners how to work with WAVELAB.
This software is specialized in mastering and advanced audio editing. Youā€™re able to do a bit of mastering in CUBASE/NUENDO but only in a very limited way compared to WAVELAB.

Steinberg offers a special promo for WAVELAB right now.

1 Like

Perhaps the OP would find this useful

( disclosure itā€™s bene 3-4 versions since I used Wavelab so forgive any errors)

Wavelab doesnā€™t function like a ā€˜tape recorder / studioā€™ like Cubase/Nuendo. Thereā€™s no punch in/out , loop recording, compiling of takes etc. Thereā€™s no mixing board window with sophisticated automation and editing. Audio routing isnā€™t implemented as it would be in a studio ( sends, inserts, groups etc). It doesnā€™t have a a video track ( unless itā€™s been added ). It doesnā€™t record and edit midi which in turn means that virtual instruments ( drums synths etc ) arenā€™t a thing.
Wavelab canā€™t import audio edit data from video editors ( OMF, EDL, AAF ). And of course as stated tv/movie features like ADR, ATMOSā€¦

It is a great editor though. It can construct a piece using multi tracks ( a montage ) with clip and track effects. The metering is great, CD track markers can be added and True Red Book standard CDā€™s burned for duplication ( or a standard data file to send to a CD facility). Iā€™d say itā€™s a great tool, for radio, audio books, mastering music, CD mastering and authoring, podcasts perhapsā€¦