Nundo 5 to Nuendo 4

Probably answered a million times before but are N5 projects compatible with N4? Can we work on N5 projects in N4 or is it only the other way around?

I can’t be sure, but I seem to remember that Steinberg deliberately made sure that you couldn’t open Nuendo 5 files in Nuendo 4. You can open them in Nuendo 3 (AFAIK), but you will lose a lot of the information.

You would be better off using another sort of transfer system, if you need to work in both programs.

EDIT: I’ve just checked, and I can open N5 projects in N4. Hurrah. :laughing:

DG

What’s the logic of letting N5 files open in N3, but NOT N4???

I think the point is that they hadn’t thought of it at the time that N3 was around. :wink:

DG

I assume the same restriction applies regarding Cubase 6 files, right? You can only exchanged them between N5 and (whenever 6 is released) up?

That is not correct. You can load Nuendo 5 projects in Nuendo 4.
But be aware that using new Features or Plugins of Nuendo 5 can lead to a warning message (i.e. Elastique Pro) and a different sound in Nuendo 4.

That’s useful to know. Certainly when Cubase 5 was released i couldn’t open those files in N4, and this was nearly a huge problem, as I was orchestrating a feeature. As I mentioned, luckily I was able to open them in N3 and then N4.

I know that SB has reasons for not wanting compatibility between versions, but it really is time that we has a “save as version 4, or 3” or somethings similar, so that people can swap between versions. All of us understand that there will be things that don’t translate.

DG

What do you mean by “different sound?”

If you have used the Elastic pro algo to stretch audio, then it will be replaced by the standard or prosonic algo, which will sound very differently.

Fredo

DG said

“That’s useful to know. Certainly when Cubase 5 was released i couldn’t open those files in N4, and this was nearly a huge problem, as I was orchestrating a feeature. As I mentioned, luckily I was able to open them in N3 and then N4.”

That’s rather surprising - we have always done a lot of to-ing and fro-ing between Nuendo and Cubase, and never had a problem going between C5 and N4, in either direction. Maybe there was something in your projects which made it impossible?

Sorry, I’ve now edited that statement now. It works these days. It didn’t at the release of C5.

In any case, they weren’t my projects. I have to deal with what I’m sent when I’m orchestrating. :wink:

DG

You should use N4.3 than you should be able to open N5 and C5 / 5.5 projects without a problem.

I can not tell if it is possible with N5.5 / C6 - I would say yes - (as mentioned here before) but most likely it can result in smaller errors - Fredo named one of them.

It was not possible to open N4 in N3, sometimes it worked but then the audiotracks were “dead” as well as the mixer was full reseted - you had to create new tracks to move the events. It is better these days.

I have N4.3 and N5.5.1 - the projects are backwards compatible except as other’s have mentioned any new features.