Oh no, Dorico 3 won't even open....

Hm … forgot to say that I am on Windows 7 and 10, on four different computers.

Hope you get this sorted out.

I’ve received several email messages in past days, from ia Native Instruments and Icon Pro advising to NOT upgrade to Catalina until it’s fully tested.

And then, yesterday, mac pros used by video editors using Avid all of a sudden couldn’t be rebooted. Total panic, and the tech people at Avid are woking hard to figure what’s causing the issue. If it even is an Avid issue, which I somehow doubt. > AVID Mac Pro Problems Bring Down Workstations Across Hollywood >

Not to start another PC vs mac war, but I am negatively biased when it comes to Apple. Their focus is really not on professional audio / video, but iphones. That’s where the money is at. So every time a new OS version is released, there are issues with incompatibility. Apparently they do not work closely with professional audio developers (NI, Icon) to test operating systems before they are released.

Anyways, I hope you can get this sorted out asap.

i’m sure i will. i’m not running Catalina. to be fair to Apple, they announce these changes well in advance and that software companies lag behind isn’t Apple’s fault.

it’s curious that my iMac Pro running 10.14.6 has never had eLicenser issues while my laptop running 10.14.5 (both Mojave) is now having those eLicenser issues. i will try to update my laptop to 10.14.6

in any case, i fault Steinberg… not Apple. of course, Steinberg will object…

Catalina has not been release yet to the general public, so you can’t use it yet. But aside from this particular issue, I recommend that you make an inventory of all your hardware and software, and make sure that everything will continue to run after upgrading.

Yes, Apple announced the upgrade, but that’s quite a different thing from actively working with the many professional audio hardware and software developers, giving them access to beta software.

Catalina has not been release yet to the general public, so you can’t use it yet. But aside from this particular issue, I recommend that you make an inventory of all your hardware and software, and make sure that everything will continue to run after upgrading.

Yes, Apple announced the upgrade, but that’s quite a different thing from actively working with the many professional audio hardware and software developers, giving them access to beta software.

i realize Catalina hasn’t been released yet. i misinterpreted something you wrote earlier. in any case, that Apple announces OS upgrades is completely different from when they inform developers of OS upgrade changes. this doesn’t happen in the dark and members of the Apple Developer community get updates and notices long before Apple releases them to the public. as a consequence, i’m certain Steinberg has been aware of Catalina 64bit requirements for a loooooonnnnngggg time. that being said, stripping out all 32bit code and replacing it with the 64bit equivalent (and then testing the result) can’t be an easy job.

in any case, this is irrelevant to my current problem. i have to rely on Steinberg for the fix.

Being “aware of the requirements long in advance” doesn’t help much if at the last minute you get a beta version of the software which doesn’t match the earlier specification - or if the beta version is so buggy that you can’t actually test if your own fixes work or not.

But in any case, if you want to use Apple products, and they already have Logic and Garageband, why do you even want to run third party apps at all? :imp:

I had this same series of issues yesterday.

Mac High Sierra, latest version. eLicenser Control Center 6.11.8.9256.

eLicenser not found when launching Dorico Pro 3. The flash screen behind the error message says Dorico LE instead of Pro.

Disconnect the eLicenser, reconnect. Dorico LE opens, without any visible window.

Close it, relaunch. Dorico Pro stuck on launch. The only solution is to force quit it, and restart the Mac. Please note that having to restart the Mac to be able to relaunch a program is something that has not happened since decades.

The only spindump I could collect was the one attached. Most of the time, with Dorico frozen, it was not generated.

This did happen while I was working with a score making use of the latest VSL Synchron Player.

Incidentally: when I could eventually make Dorico work, it was stuck while generating audio from the score. The process was stuck at 6% or 0%, then I had to cancel after a very long time. Dorico then became unresponsive. After some relaunch, it did work flawlessly.

Paolo
dorico-freeze-kontakt-Spindump.zip (439 KB)

I’m plagued by those very same symptoms right now and have to resort to precisely the same messy counter measures.
Dear Dorico support, is there currently any way to fix this mess?

What solved the issue right tonight at least for now was downloading the very latest version of the eLicenser Control Center (eLC version 6.11.8.9256) and doing maintenance on the dongle and keeping the program open while starting Dorico 3.

Let’S see whether this is permanent or whether the trouble might return…

To whom it may concern: I can now say that the workaround has permanently solved all problems with the elicenser or the audio engine not correctly booting upon start-up of Dorico.

Same error here. MacPro 10.13.6 When starting Dorico Pro 3 says e-licence not found mentioning Dorico LE
I also have Cubase 10.5 and that runs well with the USB e licencer
When I run the e licencer software eLC Version 6.11.10.2264 it sees two USB e-licencer Keys
one with Cubase Pro 10.5 and Dorico Pro 3
second USB e-licencer with Vienna instruments libraries and plugins

So all is well in Cubase 10.5 but Dorico Pro 3 only pops up countless error messages on startup

MacPro 12 core 64 Gb Ram Os 10.13.6 Radeon RX580 8Gb

Dorico Pro 3 runs fine with the same USB e-licencer keys on a Windows 10 Pro 64 bit i7 32Gb RAM PC

Welcome to the forum, Geelemenke. I guess you are using an older, longer USB-eLicenser instead of the newer, shorter version. I believe you will find that Dorico and Cubase both run more reliably if you buy a new USB-eLIcenser and move your licenses to that.

The Dorico 3 as weel as the Cubase 10 licence is on a “short” e-licenser USB stick
My Vienna licences are on a longer usb licencer ( have 3 of them for different computers)
So you recommend to replace the “older” usb-keys and move the licences there?

Yes, indeed. Even having the older USB-eLicenser plugged in at the same time can cause this problem, even if the Dorico/Cubase licenses are on the newer USB-eLicenser.

I moved all licences to my “short” Steinberg key
I’ll try to reinstall Dorico Pro 3 and see if it works