Ok Final Wish List....The time is SOON! Halion 7

I think you have a good point here Roman. Do you think despite the compression used on the hardware…that they did additional “sweeting” to the samples to make up for it? They hit a sonic “sweet spot” that requires more work on the INIT patches to my ear.

SpiderMix

Matthias Quellmann wrote this here in the forum some time ago.

Falcon’s factory library is almost, if not completely synth based and it’s pretty good. The expansions are extremely good, though, and for people who use presets that is where a lot of the value lies. The UVI Soundware is fine.

Trensharo…to MY ears…its not much better than PlugSound. Or Synth Analogy. I think somebody did a comparison between UVI’s KeySuite and Spectrasonics KeyScape and UVI’s sampling just didn’t sound as “Pro” as Spectra.

I haven’t purchased any other UVI expansions really because the older ones I had weren’t all that impressive. Kontakt’s library was even worse to me.

SpiderMix

Maggie,

I think they HINTED that it was something they were working on a LONG time ago and we all thought it was going to be an upgrade we would get or could purchase for Halion 6.

I have no memory of seeing this posted as a fact. I would ASSUME they would have to. Halion came out like what…5 PLUS YEARS…and NO MAJOR UPDATES??? No Tone2 type free enhancements every few months. Just a big pit of nothing.

SpiderMix

I didn’t buy HALion 6 expecting anything beyond what I paid for. Typically, that is how these things work.

IMO, HALion needs to bolster its ecosystem of Libraries more than it needs to add FM Synthesis. You may not think UVI’s stuff is great, but there is hardly anything someone could “need” (as in, a specific type of instrument) that isn’t available there. That is the strength of their ecosystem. You can basically use get Falcon and everything will run through it - you don’t “really” need to straddle ecosystems to the extent that you do with HALion 6.

Steinberg has been releasing more content, but a lot of that stuff are weird cinematic libraries.

If you already have something like Komplete, then there is very little value in HALion as the Libraries do not offer much and you can simply get and use Pigments or Falcon for Synthesis.

As for UVI’s Libraries: they target the same market segment as products like Syntronik and SampleTank, so they’re fine from that standpoint. Everything doesn’t have to be “boutique.”

2 Likes

This will most likely never happen because each instrument can use any number of these parameters in any configuration or maybe even not use them at all.

Load an EQ on your output and save it as your default in your DAW.

HALion can already export presets with files.

1 Like

Hello Chris,

Got your synth. Still trying to wrap my head around it. I guess that’s kind of my point. Why not put ourselves in an innovative mind sphere about how this program works. EVERYTHING can be done in software. LITERALLY EVERYTHING>

Loading an eq on my master buss does NOT accomplish what I was talking about. The “Master Sweetner EQ” would live on the top of the interface so I don’t have to go hunting around for it. Also, it would have the option to “follow preset” or “remain”. Meaning the thing keeps the same master sweetening you set for your specific situation…OR…it follows whatever settings are already stored in the preset file.

SpiderMix

Hello SpiderMix,

Thank you for your support. I plan to record and release videos that may simplify the synth more for you. Look out for that in the future.

Maybe this is not implemented how you imagined, but you can actually do what you describe with HALion 6. The H6 interface is modular. You can pin the mixer to the interface’s top if you want it in a different fixed location. Slot busses and Master busses do not change regardless of the instrument loaded so any FX you put on these slots will remain even if you change instruments. If you want the EQ FX to appear every time you load different presets from the same library, that is impossible because individual presets will load their own FX settings. Adding the EQ (or any effect) to the slot or output busses would be the only way to circumvent this limitation. Hope this helps.

So you buy software with the EXPECTATION that it will NEVER be updated? It’s software. All good developers update and expand their software based on customer feedback CONSTANTLY. Some companies do this very well… i.e Tone2. They spit out MAJOR free updates multiple times a year in most cases.

I just think it’s wrong to release something and essentially abandon it until the next version comes out. Halion isn’t gonna be the next Kontak2. But it can EASILY have a much more powerful synth engine.

SpiderMix

1 Like

Software is a product like any other. There is no guarantee when you buy a product that it will ever be anything more than the product you paid for.

Buying a piece of software and expecting free updates and addons down the line is not in some contract you sign with the manufacturer. You get what you pay for. If they decide to add more features or expand it later, that’s great, but there is no law saying ‘I bought this, now you have to add more to it’.

1 Like

I get what yore’re saying Mono…and that lack of interest in advancing the platform is why Falcon came out of the BLUE and basically took the #2 spot while Steinberg was…doing…I’m not exactly sure.

I just wish there was more communication. More updates that people ask for. More mainline sample libraries. I’m not against any of the work that the sound designers have done…but I think we have some gaps in the selection BIG TIME.

On the Positive side…I DO think Halion has the best feature set as far as multi-synth workstations go. It’s just weird to me to not support your own stuff.

SpiderMix

1 Like

I buy software with the expectation that I may have to pay for anything beyond what I received when I paid for it.

The only thing I expect “updates” for, is to fix bugs that impact functionality the developer told me existed and could be expected to work reasonably well when I made that purchase.

Additionally, Falcon took the #2 spot in … what?

There are more 3rd party Sample Libraries for HALion than for Falcon, so if you’re referring to #2 behind Kontakt, I’d say HALion is still there… quite safely, even though the rift between #1 and #2 is as wide as a Pacific.

Being frank, whatever is #2 behind Kontakt literally doesn’t matter. As developers move off of Kontakt, they are more likely to move to in-house sample playback instruments. Neither HALion nor Falcon is benefitting at all from the move off of Kontakt. Developers of higher end libraries are getting over having their library/instrument ecosystems controlled by a third party, while paying a tax to do so (Falcon would impose a tax if they moved there, but HALion wouldn’t).

1. Maybe i can’t do it, but if it was a software limitation, it would be nice to be able to load flac samples. it would also be nice to be able to create your own impulse responses for reverence within halion.

2. Another very nice thing would be to be able to select the active programs through program change, for now (even here as I have seen, maybe there is some trick that escapes me) it is possible to assign each program to a different midi port or put in only one at a time to choose which program to play. it would be nice, maybe a live mode in which only the programs activated (via manual selection or assignable control as program change, note midi or cc midi).

3. Another very interesting thing could be to have the possibility to load in some way a table that allows the program to assign a corresponding gain to each velocity point a volume, I will explain better with an example:
    I sampled electronic drums very meticulously, capturing every kick drum hit at every velocity, for example. At this point I chose which samples to discard based on sample equality and which ones to keep (for example a from velocity 120 to 127 the sample captured at 120 was enough as the sound was the same, but only the volume changed), I mapped the samples left, but as much as I can modify the curves, I don’t have a yield in terms of volumes equal to what I have in the source electronic drums.

OOOO!

I forgot! How about SINGLE CLICK PATCH LOAD! Doubling clicking to load up presets is super annoying and I wish this could be changed!

SpiderMix

I’d like to be able to drag the LFO section in zone to be bigger, in the same way you drag the envelope section bigger.

Also, we need a “smoothing” control in the LFO section that would round off the hard edges of pulse or saw wave LFOs.

There’s also a lot more features that could be added to the LFO section (see Serum or the original Massive).

Also, I’d like to see an A.I. driven sample browser, XLN XO-style. Because it’s kinda crazy that although Halion is the most powerful sampler ever built, it gets killed by a toy like XO in terms of finding samples to load!

Here’s another one besides fast sample-based NKS-like sound preview.

Many HALion (Sonic) Synths not only have much potential, but they have their own Arpeggiators. They are build-in, are powerful and even have lots of presets to start from. So in the case there may be an update the interfaces of the synths like Anima, Auron, Flux, Trium, Voltage, etc. I really hope the build-in arps will stay.

1 Like

Dynamaltee!

THIS!!! I JUST experienced the preview function on Kontakt 7 today! Very nice indeed. N.I STILL has suck sound design. :rofl:

Amadeus e.d.p

Make Halion 7 especially available for VSTi hosts like Patchwork or Unify!!! Not working now!

You can do this with the program table.