Ok Final Wish List....The time is SOON! Halion 7

Do you guys have any FINAL wish lists for version 7? I know we had a thread…and we didn’t really get any feedback… but here are some of my FINAL wishes!

1. Lock the Macro Controls to automatically control: Cutoff, Release, Attack etc for ALL synths loaded. Need that piano sound that has like 5 different layers to sound like a pad? No problem! Just ease off the attack knob on 5 knobs and it controls attack of all layers at the same time!

2. A Universal tone shaping EQ that’s maybe loaded at the top of the plugin. Like a final “sweetenizer” kinda plugin. Easy way to add some high end or take out the low end without having to dive into the mixer.

3. “Export your Syth” Option. Need to take YOUR presets over to your buddy who also has Halion? Export Your Synth MAAAAAAANE! It just backs up all your presets onto a thumb drive that way you can take your Workstation WHEREVER!

4. Skins. It’s kinda lame we ALL have to use the same looking thing. This ain’t Henry Ford. We need options.

Ok. I’m done!

1. Proper FM synth engine
  2. Custom draw of wavetables
  3. Flex Phraser with graphic overview so you don’t have to guess
  4. Trigger pads that actually work in combination with chord pads
  5. Graphic view of synths parameters like Serum or Phase Plant
  6. Drag and drop to modulate parameters

Simple stuff all modern synths-samplers have…but at this point I am almost positive nothing from my list will make it to HALion 7.

Finally it would be a true miracle if they release HALion 7 before Christmas.

Custom draw of wavetables already exists in a manner

On the Envelope and Spectrum tabs, adjust the wavetable envelope or edit the spectrum of the wave.

The bar is presently being set by UVI FALCON for modular synth-sampler based on the LUA script.

Without re-hashing the full feature set, I would like Steinberg engineers to take the competition & come back with their own take as they done so before.

1.) Easier/quicker multisample to multikey mapping, pitch detection based mapping, same pitch = different velocity layer, velocity detection, etc… make it one button AI intelligent.

2.) VST blocks, 3rd party can adapt their existing VST3 plugins for… both effects or instruments (Eurorack modules)

3.) Custom Impulse Responses, embedded with instrument file

4.) Impulse Response Creator (See Abletons)

5.) Advanced Hardware Modeler via layered convolution… ie, creating a one or two knob effect for the user based on the response. If you send lots of sweeps at different combinations of Amplitude and Time, as well as maybe some noise sweeps and different program material… You could abstract fairly closely the frequency curve, compression and input trigger threshold, saturation, tone, decay, etc. User would need to be able to set capture interval (if there is reverb decay), and depending on user selected detail (how many samples are taken), will affect the amount of time it takes. It could be one sine sweep lasting 10 seconds, or, it could be 1000 sine sweeps. The program will take the result and essentially create an algorithmic vst effect with an “Amount Knob” and “Mix Knob”

This way, people can come up with a certain hardware chain in their studio, and impart it as character onto their Halion instrument creation. A Multiband Tubetech Compressor that compresses high frequencies and lows differently is now in a Marimba halion instrument.

7.) If the above can’t be accomplished and or also… add more beneath the hood options for tone, harmonic distortion, compression, etc, etc… hardware emulations… Users should be able to build almost their own circuit beneath the GUI of the instrument that is “their secret sauce”.

8.) Eventide VSIG/H9000 style effect building, allow users to keep their sauce secret.

9.) GPU power enabled - use graphics card power to run plugin.

10.) Note Expression matrix and features

11.) MIDI 2.0 Tools/assets

12.) Analog hardware and synth modelling assets… ie “Rowland” filters vs “Kord” filters vs “Mouge” filters. circuitry tone, etc, etc. Let us have the input section and circuitry of a Mouge, and the EQ and output of Nieve. Make it like combining different circuit boards together and components together.

The problem with Flacon is that it’s library doesn’t sound very good. I have a Motif ES and a Yamaha EX5….and I definitely “hear” some of those samples in Halion. They aren’t mixed as good….maybe the “B” session files that didn’t cut it?

I DO like how much material UVI releases. You could have a LOT of sounds if you went to that platform.

SpiderMix

Yes! Custom defaults! I assume that’s what you meant? If not. Apologies. I wish I could just load up a DEFAULT reverb setting automatically when you load it on. The default setting is awful.

SpiderMix

no I meant I want to use my own convolution IRs.

On the contrary… Halion has the original 44.1 kHz versions of those samples. The Motif has always used “fast” lossy compression, sometimes requiring additional dynamic range compression and EQ to be baked into the sample to prevent details from being lost. On top of that, dynamic layers and articulations had to be cut from the real hardware in order for everything to fit into the Motif’s ROM.

If you use Init programs to compare the raw samples while level matching them, you’ll notice that the Halion versions are either pretty much the same or have a little more dynamic range. They’re generally better suited for reprocessing, which will probably be happening a lot when using a DAW.

Do note that a good chunk of the original Halion Sonic 1 library was produced by ex-Wizoo staff, and may sound similar to Motif samples by coincidence.

1 Like

YES! But until…the Reverence Reverb default sounds pretty terrible. The bass is turned up all the way and the midrange is boosted in a weird way. I don’t understand why you can’t save a setting as a DEFAULT.

SpiderMix

Yep, were on the same page Romantique…what I’m referring to is the actual MIX of the samples. Like taking out the boomy low end. Lots of resonance in the 200HZ range on a LOT of the samples. Those are not there on my Motif. Similar. Just “mastered” a little better.

SpiderMix