Old 5-pin midi DIN actually faster than USB midi...

It doesn’t need to be fast. The hardware layer of MIDI is after all a pretty simple serial interface running at 31.5 Kb/s It just needs to be accurate. Which is why the old Steinberg Midex 8x8 had clever stuff™ built into the driver that timestamped the MIDI events and told the host what the relative timing of MIDI events SHOULD be.

The only MIDI interfaces that still has such a thing (as I understand it) is the MOTO range, where they have MTS (MIDI Time Stamp) built in.

The reason why nobody cares (much) about this these days is that the MIDI data flying between virtual instruments and hosts can actually be sample accurate, and nobody (except old prog-rockers like me with a room full of MIDI gear and a picture of Rick Wakeman on the wall) uses stuff with those 5 pin DIN leads any more.

:laughing:

I have a MOTU MIDI Express so I’m one of those old prog-rockers too. :smiley:

I used to daisy chain them together. Then I bought my MOTU hub on CraigsList for next to nothing and wonder how I ever did without it.

This is important to me for different reasons: in previous bands I took a lot of my MIDI gear on stage with me so therefore I use software (Cantabile Performer) to manage the various devices. Having a hub makes setup 1,000,000 times easier and when it already took me longer to setup than the drummer every minute counts.

I actually have a few Midex 8 interfaces, though only one is currently in use.
(I also use MIDI relics like JLC MSB 16/20, as well as a JLC MSB-1.)

I got far too many antique synthesizers and not be able to use them with Cubase would break my heart.
(So Steinberg, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, check the Midex 8 x64 driver on Windows 8.)

I much prefer having separate midi IO for each hardware instrument too. Quicker and easier to set up and keep track of what’s what.
I don’t buy gear that has no midi I/O. I have around 9 usb ports in use currently, I’m not planning on using any more than that.
+1 on the Midex driver compatibility in W8!