Old Casio CT-450 midi to usb to work in cubase

I have an old 80s keyboard called Casio CT-450, on the back it has the old out and in midi plugs, I have got a midi to usb cable plugged into and into my PC but I just cant seem to get it to work with Cubase. I want to use it to play the ‘virtual keyboard’ on the toolbar instead of me using my qwerty keyboard to play the sounds. Ive done the basic stuff, selection the output midi , but nothing. Can somebody give me some help?

My keyboard: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-CASIO-CASIOTONE-CT-450-ELECTRONIC-KEYBOARD-/130631675511?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Keyboard_RL&hash=item1e6a412e77

My midi to usb cable: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004IJ5FEU

PC Specs:

Intel(R) Core™ i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
Memory:
8192MB RAM
Hard Drive:
1TB
Video Card:
Radeon HD 6950

Windows 7 64bit
(i also have a windows 7 32bit pc)

Have you got the midi the right way round?

Keyboard midi out to computer midi in?

Yes, the midi out is in the midi out socket, the midi in is in the midi in socket and the usb is in the USB plug on the back of my pc.

The midi OUT goes to the midi IN socket and the midi IN goes to the midi OUT socket

OUT to IN
IN to OUT

not

OUT to OUT
IN to IN

it’s a bit confusing, but look at it like a data flow. Midi flows OUT of the plug INto the keyboard, and OUT of the keyboard INto the cable.

I think i tried that the other day and i gto nothing. Will try again later, keyboard charger is broken atm -.- How can i set up the midi keyboard to use the ‘virtual keyboard’ in the bar at the bottom of the screen?

Not sure if you can, and I’m also not entirely sure why you would want that?

Im still trying to work out how to do this. I want to use my Old casio CT-450 Keyboard on cubase to control the Virtual keyboard on the tool bar in some of the plugin in synths. I want to use my keyboard as a controler.

You don’t want to do that! The virtual keyboard is for a quick way to play if you dont have a proper keyboard. Switch it off.

Make an instrument track and select a Vsti or whatever, select the monitor button.

Make sure the midi input is correctly selected and off you go.

Refer to the getting started Guide for more info.