On Mac, Dorico 4 does not launch but hangs indefinitely waiting for the audio engine

Hi again,
Just to double check…does Dorico make use of Groove Agent SEst3 and/or this:

Hi @rrgilley, it depends on you. If you would install a current version of Groove Agent, then it won’t crash Dorico and you could use it as a VSTinstrument just like any other, but it’s optional. So if you say that you will never going to use Groove Agent, then you can also delete those file in order to save space on your drive.

Removing the Econ bundle fixed it for me

Unlike stated in the Version History, the problem persists with EUcon Components on Mac OS in Dorico 4.0.1

Attached another Crash File from today.

(No, I didn’t go looking for this, a friend installed Dorico 4.0.1 and had the exact same issue, so we troubleshooted and found that eucon65 still causes problems, on his system as well as on mine)
VSTAudioEngine5_2022-02-03-165529_Saschas-MacBook-Pro.crash.zip (24.0 KB)

Hi @klafkid , how embarrasing for us. We did put a filter in so that the audio engine was supposed to ignore any Eucon component, but obviously we did not test it thoroughly enough. We apologize.

Hi, Ulf;
As I mentioned before, I don’t have a Eucon or a Groove Agent folder in this location.
Also,as previously mentioned, I go and try to create the folders in your list (and all I get each time is the complete HD Documents listings that are on the computer. I did manage to get the logs, which I have sent to you
Thanks
John

Hi @leestreetstudios ,
that is strange, because there are 2 crash dumps that clearly show a crash in the Eucon bundle.
Can we maybe have a remote screen sharing session to sort this?

Sure, I’d love to get to the bottom of this.

But you’ll have to guide me through the mechanics of how to do this, as I’m not familiar with screensharing techniques.
I’m just about to sit down to dinner (its 6:30 in the evening here in Australia). If a session in a couple of hours suits you, that’s fine, otherwise book a time that’s OK for both of us.
Thanks
John

No answer yet, Ulf. I tried asuggestion given to another poster from Daniel, who said to uninstall then reinstallSAM via the link he gave, but once again this has done nothing.

John Summers

Hi @leestreetstudios , I’ve sent you a message via the private message system in the forum. Please check.

Thanks – yes, my problem was a hanging VST Audio Engine. This worked for me:

• ensure that the VST Audio Engine process is gone from the task manager (or activity monitor on Mac)
1 Like

Hanging here, too.

Everything worked fine until I tried to whitelist some VST2 plugins
requested diagnostics too large for forum link, so here via GDrive:

2017 iMac i7, 64gb ram Mac OS 11.6.3 latest version of Dorico (installed it Friday!)

Hi @giwro ,

thanks for the data. First thing to try is, go to /Users/jonathanorwig/Library/Preferences/Dorico\ 4\ AudioEngine and rename the file Vst2xPlugin\ SearchPaths\ Dorico\ 4\ AudioEngine.xml to something else. When you then start up Dorico, does it work?
Also make sure that any VSTAudioEngine process is terminated before starting Dorico. You check this via the ActivityMonitor app.

That did the trick, thanks Ulf

But did that really solve all your problems? How about that VST2 plug-in that you wanted to whitelist, does that work?

Hi Ulf -

I’ve had a repeated (but not consistent) problem like this - it hangs with one of two messages about Audio Engine.

Now that I’m trying to build a large-ish playback template with various Kontakt instances (not more than 6 though) and NotePerformer, it’s either always hanging, OR if I can get in, Dorico hangs when I’m navigating to the VST Rack.

2013 MacBook Pro (“there’s your problem right there…”)
OSX 10.14.6
Dorico updated to 4.2.*

Some other info:

• for YEARS I’ve always had Dorico ask me to register Softtube VSTs on login, ever since I tried some demos. I finally found the uninstallers so I’ve dealt with that. Didn’t prevent the hanging of connecting to Audio Engine
  • new (?) message now when starting Dorico: something about looking for a place to put (?) the Audio Engine? [see my reply for specific hang messages]
  • Hanging might be related to whether my USB MIDI controllers are plugged in. They have been working erratically with Dorico for a while.

I’ve zipped the files you requested in OP.

• Note that there was NOTHING in /Users/your-username/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Dorico 4

• nothing called “Dorico 4 AudioEngine”. So that’s strange.

My library for all this stuff actually isn’t under Users, but under Shared.

“Activation Manager” folder is 7Mb compressed! Too big to attach here. Is there another way to send it to you?

DiagnosticReports.zip (1.6 MB)
Dorico 4.zip (144 Bytes)

Thank you so much in advance for your help!

Alex

After installing Dorico 4, Mac users frequently experience that it won’t start up but will indefinitely wait for the audio engine.

Actually, this happens on Windows too, all the time. Just open a project and then close Dorico, and do that multiple times, and at some point Dorico just refuses to start, because of the Audio Engine. Sometimes it hangs on the splash screen, sometimes even before the splash screen is shown.

At least here on Windows 10 64-bit, with Dorico’s latest version. Previous versions behave the same.

Hi again: here is some other info that might be related to Dorico hanging on startup:

1. In recent days when I try to browse the Halion content in Play mode, I can’t see any of the patches: the instrument names seem to flicker briefly and then disappear. Once I could see them, but otherwise can’t search menus or browse. I can, however, select instruments by advancing sequentially through them.

new (?) message now when starting Dorico: something about looking for a place to put (?) the Audio Engine?

1. When Dorico hangs on startup, it seems to cycle through the following messages:
  • Audio Engine: waiting for connection

(hangs, I force quit. Restart Dorico, and the message is…

• Setting enginedata dir: “Dorico 4 AudioEngine”

(hangs, force quit, restart)

• Attached to Audio Engine

(hangs, force quit, restart)

• Initializing SKI Plugin Controller… done

(hangs, force quit, restart… and the cycle repeats)

Hi @Alex_Eddington ,

first of all, thanks for the data, but actually that was not so useful. The Dorico zip is basically empty. You say that everything is under Shared with you. If that is the case, then please have a look under Shared for a Dorico subfolder somewhere in there.
The audio engine files usually live under /Users/your-username/Library/Preferences/Dorico 4 AudioEngine. If there is nothing, then please go and find them in your Shared folder.

Next, when you launch Dorico and it is hanging, please open the Activity Monitor app and have a look for the VSTAudioEngine process. Is it there? If so, highlight it and at the top of the Activity Monitor window is a little i-icon, click on that and a pop-up menu appears. Choose ‘Sample Process’ and follow the on-screen instructions. Even better if you repeat that and send me the two generated files then.
Furthermore, please do one more test: Open a Terminal window and type the command
echo test > /tmp/test.txt
followed by the return key. If you do that, what does the Terminal say then?

Thanks for your collaboration
Ulf

Hi @andrea-calligaris ,

on Windows the reason for the waiting can be completely different. You should have come forward much earlier with your case, so that we can find out what exactly is going wrong. E.g. another Dorico user on Win just had a case where the audio driver would stall the audio engine’s main thread.
To find out more, please do the following:
Get the free app Process Explorer (Process Explorer - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs)
Bring Dorico into the state where it is waiting for the audio engine
Start ProcessExplorer and in the list find the process VSTAudioEngine
Do a right click on it and from the pop-up menu choose Create Dump > Create MiniDump.
If the corresponding dump file becomes too big for an attachment here, please send to u dot stoermer at steinberg dot de instead.
Furthermore, it would be even better if you could create 2 mini dump files after another.
Thanks

1 Like