On Mac, Dorico 4 is stuck waiting for audio engine before crashing when trying to open file

Hello,
I recently reformatted my 2020 Macbook Pro intel i5 and reinstalled everything from my back up hard drive. When trying open Dorico 4, however, it would be stuck on “Wait for audio engine realisation” for about 5 minutes. Then a pop up saying that “Could not connect to CoreMIDI. You should restart your system.” After clicking okay I was brought onto the normal Dorico home screen. When I attempt to access a file, Dorico will crash. I tried using the forum where someone else had the same “waiting for audio engine realisation” issue for help but none of their options worked for me. I tried removing every Steinberg folder and application and redownload everything fresh about 8 times and still the same issue. Does anyone have any idea of what could be wrong and how to fix this?

Instead of using your backup drive for everything, why not make a fresh install of Dorico in the hope that the install process will make the necessary connections.

Also check the Steimberg Library Manager app to confirm that your Steinberg libraries are where you want them and that Steinberg applications will be able to find them.

Check that the VST Audio Engine has quit before relaunching Dorico. (Use Activity Monitor to find and quit the process.) Or reboot.

Try reinstalling once. If that doesn’t work, then you know the problem isn’t going to be fixed by reinstalling again.

The Mac’s OS is on a read-only volume, and won’t boot if it’s been modified. There is therefore no need to wipe and reinstall the OS.

Usually, problems are caused by: corrupt user configuration files, incompatibilities of old software with the current OS; or things you’ve forgotten about that are running in the background, and set to start up every login.

And most importantly, once Dorico started up and you see the hub window, don’t open a file but choose from Dorico’s menu Help > Create Diagnostics Report and post here the corresponding zip file. That will contain crash files which help us identifying the cause of your problem.