On the road

Now that Dorico for Ipad has some decent instrument sounds, I like my mobile set-up with Ipad, but realized today, that a normal size backpack is actually too large. I think I could use a middle schooler’s half size backpack
Dorico, Ipad pro 11", Ipad magic keyboard, Targus USB to c dock, power bank providing extra charging ipad through magic keyboard, and inexpensive but perfectly adequate Sony headphones with option noise canceling.

6 Likes

Could you say more about your experience with the Magic Keyboard? How does this compare with the desktop version?

Hmm, well on desktop I’m using windows. If you’re a heavy keyboard user, I may not be representative of what you might want to use. Most of the time, I’m using the following commands: p for play, r to repeat a select note or passage, opt n, opt m for moving a selection up or down to the next staff, space bar for stopping and starting play from current position, Shift n for note input. On my desktop or the iPad I rarely input notes with 1,2,3,4 and letter method. And I use the j bar for a lot of more obscure commands.

Magic keyboard gives you a trackpad mouse, but as much as I use a mouse on windows, I use it very little on the ipad. Usually to select bars freehand.

I like the Ipad to sketch out basic parts, but there’s no real possibility of refining a composition beyond a certain point. It works well for that, but ultimately, I eventually have to bring it back to the desktop at some point.

Hope that kind of answers your question.

I have the slightly-less-than-magic “Smart” keyboard, which doesn’t have a trackpad built-in. It’s certainly a lot easier to use Dorico, falling back onto familiar key commands, than tapping on the screen.

It doesn’t have an Escape key, though I believe there’s a combination key press to emulate it, which I can’t remember.

I’d like to push Dorico on iPad “to the limit” – seeing how much of a large, complex project I could achieve. But I have a laptop anyway, so the iPad is mostly for small, simple, wait-till-I-get-you-home stuff.

What’s the MIDI keyboard? Is it bluetooth, or plugged in?

Keyboard is plug-in. nectar se 25. It’s a bit different than anything I’ve used before, but works well. It only has a few controls, but does more than you would think.

One more thing, even though I don’t have an apple pencil, I use a simple stylus, as it’s a lot easier than trying to use your fingers when you do touch the screen. You don’t have to zoom in so much.

1 Like

Come to think of it, i don’t think I would really like using dorico on a Ipad without a pencil sized stylus. I already was using one quite a bit before I got the Dorico Ipad version. Although you could get an apple pencil, just having a cheap stylus allows you more preciseness., IMO.