One More Sleep

Awesome article @benwiggy ! Who knew there were so many dead and dying notation programs?

2 Likes

I see the Steinberg logo has already fallen off the wall in this shot.

(I, too, started with MOTUā€™s Professional Composerā€“well, after years with pen, pencil, and paper.)

1 Like

I know for a fact thatā€™s why I grabbed onto computer notation so readily: 13 years writing with huge, yellow orchestration sheets, pencils, and a piano full of eraser shavings.

I didnā€™t get my first Mac until 1989 - an SE with 1MB Ram and a 20MB hard drive. The salesman told me I would never need anything bigger than 20 Megabyte hard drive :open_mouth:

But I did have Performer 3(?) for it and carried it to gigs for backing tracks. Got into notation much later.

1 Like

On a related note, I just landed a copy of Finale 2. I havenā€™t handled sloppy disks in quite a while!

2 Likes

Never handle a sloppy disk.

1 Like

That was my first thought upon reading the article as well. I was surprised that there were so many in the graveyard; many of which Iā€™ve never even heard of. Granted, Iā€™m a generation behind the earliest systems, but I was still surprised that I had not even heard them mentioned in passing (no pun intended! Ha!).

As David Maddux wrote earlier, the output of Professional Composer was sooooo far away from a ā€œreal scoreā€ that it is no surprise those have been forgottenā€¦ The only one that really survives in memory is Score, as it is the first one that could actually be used to create those real scores.

2 Likes

Oh my god. It took quite a bit of wrangling, but I actually got Professional Composer to run on a Mac emulation:

Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 12.34.29 PM

5 Likes

Ha! Looks like I had a slipped disc. Iā€™ll leave itā€¦

See, thatā€™s an intuitive UI for a change! Keep it away from Tantacrul, heā€™ll nick it.

6 Likes

You mean, heā€™ll copy it?

1 Like

ā€˜nickā€™ is slang for steal.

1 Like

:musical_score:One day more
Another day, another destinyā€¦

Tomorrow weā€™ll discover
What our god in heaven has in store!
One more dawn
One more day
One day more! :musical_note:

4 Likes

Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 12.34.29 PM
Well, I say this is great news. Now, can you export an XML file from Pro Composer? Or better yet, can it import XML? That way we can start the score in Dorico, then finish it in Pro Comp - you know, to make it look extra fineā€¦

1 Like

HAHAHAHAHA. Oh gads. Can you even imagine?
Better still, if one could export scores & parts with a realistic dot-matrix-printer look, now THAT would be Retro Notation Heaven!

And be sure to sample the noise the printer makes for later use!

1 Like

Wow. How could I have forgotten that unmistakable rattle back and forth?
grrrrrrrrrrrzt
grrrrrrrrrrrzt
grrrrrrrrrrrzt
grrrrrrrrrrrzt

DoricoBeep tremolo

Do you remember encountering laser printing for the first time after years of dot matrix? It was sheer voodoo!

2 Likes