One player with multiple instruments

I can add 2 or more instruments to a player. The manual tells how to do this and it tells that the result of adding an instrument is that the instrument is added. I understand this, but I don’t understand, why I should do this. I thought, iso I can change easily the instrument, the player is playing, or just the label the line has (from Soprano I to Soprano and back as required). But it seems there is no way to change the instrument (as in Sibelius), so I don’t know why to assign two instruments to one player. (I even don’t know where to look in the manual because I don’t understand it’s structure – if it has ne – and can’t use the index because I don’t know how to name in english what I’m looking for…)

Go to Galley view, here the instruments show up as separate staves. Enter the music for each instrument. Back in Page view, instrument changes will be automatically created.

Hi Auerbach,
Hum, I think it depends of your work, and the result you want to reach. You are not obliged to do so ! Anyway you say there’s no way to change the instrument, but it is possible to change it in the Setup Mode when cliquing the instrument > change instrument.

Adding 2 or more instruments to the same player could be very useful in many case. You’re talking about Soprano… so adding 2 voices in the same instrumentist (Alto & Soprano or Bass & Tenor, etc.) allow you to create for example some piano reductions of recitativo with singers alternating each other on the same stave. Dorico does create automatically 2 staves when the 2 singers have to sing in the same time.
If you create 2 different voices(instrumentist) you will have 2 staves all the time.

Well, Craig has the answer.
When you create full orchestra scores, it is very often that the first flute also plays the piccolo, and that clarinet players switch between their Bflat instrument and A instrument… They hold two instruments each, and galley view allows you to fill either one or the other staff, and Dorico engraves the instrument change properly.
Ed-222’s suggestion is just a workaround, since we do not have yet a proper implementation of what could be an “automatic reduction” of score. Dorico’s logic is very musical : we write scores for players, not for instruments, therefore we start the scores by defining the players, then make them hold the different instruments they’re going to play during the piece.

Hmm. I don’t understand. What’s the »galley view«? Where can I write fill either the one or the other staff?
My question was just, which is the sense o adding two instruments to one player. I know that players sometimes change the instrument. But I don’t know how to do this in Dorico, and I don’t find any hint in the manual.

https://steinberg.help/dorico/v1/en/dorico/topics/write_mode/write_mode_note_input_inputting_notes_players_with_multiple_instruments_t.html

Think of galley view as a pageless (not formated as it would be for printing) view of the continuous stream of music stretching out for the duration of the flow(s). Galley view allows you to see ALL music, including separate staves for all instruments. This comes into play when inputting the music for a single player of multiple instruments as each instrument will have its own staff when viewing in Galley View, but will be combined into a single staff with instrument changes indicated when viewing in Page View. Although, for sake of completeness, it is possible to have Page View (or any layout) show the 2 stave separately as it does in Galley View by going to Layout Options, Instrument Changes and unticking the box “Allow instrument changes”.

Another way to think of the difference is Galley View is like a panorama photo, while Page View is like the same photo split into several photos. And Galley View is mainly used for working on the music while Page View is for final printing (or pdf’ing). Did I just make up a term “pdf’ing”? :laughing:

Thank you. But I had no problem to understand galley view. I just didn’t know the word, so I didn’t know what it is and how I can find it.

This is the kind of problem any user that is not native english (like me) do have. There are NEVER stupid questions :wink:

Let me just add another aspect to this issue.
Assigning alternative instruments to players brings up the problem in galley view that copying music from one staff to another (e.g. from Flute to Oboe) will result in copying those notes to the hidden alternative instrument first (in my case piccolo). So the shortcut shift-option-M e.g. cannot be used. Any solution to this?

It can be used, but then you must use alt-m or move to the staff below enough times until you reach the appropriate staff. Beware, if a staff is not empty between the source and the destination, this can create problems!

1 Like

Well, if I “surpass” the hidden staff this copies the material there which is not what I want! I would then have to erase it.

No, alt/option-M move the material.

Jesper

I am speaking about copying the material. But you gave me the right hint: it is the combination of shortcuts copy/move which will do the trick.

For reference, in printing a galley proof is a first rough setting of a work for correction. Usually they set longish blocks of text, not necessarily finally paginated. It’s quite an old term. This is where Dorico borrows the idea of a Galley view from.

The Galley View in Dorico allows for handy note input, but it is not paginated or fully laid out.

Exactly, first copy, then move.

Jesper

1 Like

Or highlight the source material and then ALT/OPT + Click into the target staff at the starting beat/tick to avoid the ALT/OPT + M situation entirely.

Use the right tool for the job.

3 Likes

Thank you for all your suggestions, I am aware of these techniques now.