Opening Cubase 6.5 projects in Cubase 7.0.2 causing crash!

Hello all. Hope somebody can shed a bit of light on this issue for me.

I am running Cubase 7.0.2 (upgraded from 6.5) on Windows 7 64bit. 6.5 always worked flawlessly and I am really liking 7 apart from one very annoying issue.

90% of the time when I try to open a project that I created in 6.5, it will cause Cubase to stop responding. The loading dialogue progress bar freezes and it is always when “Loading MixConsole”. The only way to get out of it is to end the program in Windows task manager. Obviously this means that I can no longer work on most of my 6.5 projects. All projects created in Cubase 7 work fine.

Any advice or help with this i greatly appreciated. Thanks

I would suggest it is your VST folder(s). Make sure that ALL of your VST plugins that were used in 6.5 are copied and loaded into their respective folders in C7 - and this includes their sound files into the VST sound file folder. I think maybe it MIGHT be possible to paste a ‘pointer’ in the folders but I didn’t want to take any chances and HD space is cheap.

When loading a C6.5 project into C7 I did not experience the crash you refer to, but I did get a pause and a widow that told me certain plugins could not be found. Give it a try.

Mr Roos

Thanks a lot for your suggestion.

I have made sure that the content in the following folders match

C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 6
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 7

Unfortunately this hasn’t fixed it. However, I decided to open one of my 6.5 projects and rather than force close it I just left it to see what happened. The project opened after 11 minutes!!! There was no audio and Cubase was unresponsive. The performance meter on the transport window was maxing out even when I managed to close the project.

Any ideas? Thanks.

UPDATE: If I save the project under a different name and then open it, it loads fine. Only trouble is when I play it back it is stuttering and clicking very badly. Unusable. Performance meter is maxing out!! Looks like I need to do another post!!

Hey,

Out of interest, can you create a new/empty project in Cubase 7?

I have an issue which I reported and has been moved to the ‘Solved’ forum → Steinberg Forums.

I’ve had no indication of how it’s been solved (the thread is locked) or a reply to a ticket I raised.

I haven’t attempted to open a 6 project in 7 yet, but I’ll give that a go when I get home.

Apologies for hijacking - just checking if the issue might be related.

No problem opening new projects in 7. However, I soon start experiencing the problem above when working on new projects.

I’ve gone back to 6.5 because 7 is unusable. Really frustrating. It seems my issue may be part of a wider problem that was originally reported by Mac users, but also seems to be affecting PC users.

Thanks for the reply; much appreciated.