Opening old Cubasis VST 4.0 and Cubase LE files on Windows 8

Hi all, Happy New Year,

I have a bunch of old projects that I recorded in both Cubasis VST 4.0, as well as Cubase LE (I think version 1), all in Windows XP.

I always had it in the back of my mind that I’d go into all of them one day, and export them to Wav mixdowns, just so I can have them (Can’t exactly bring up a Cubase file for my friends to listen to). But, as fate would have it, I’ve been too busy to ever really sit down with them, and do some light mixing, and exporting - I recorded over 100 songs/versions of songs, so it would be more than just a day or two, and that’s why I always wound up putting it off.

Today, I’ve tried installing my old discs of Cubasis VST 4.0, and Cubase LE, assuming (correctly) that they would not work on Win8.1, obviously to no avail.

I installed a VM with XP, and tried installing them there, same deal.

I tried installing a trial of Cubase 7 64, to see if it would be backwards compatible with any of these filetypes, and that didn’t work. In fact, it wouldn’t even open.
It just tells me:
"An error has been signaled by the Protected Object Server

File SYNSOACC.DLL could not be located in the Windows system folders."

My question is how do I open these? I don’t even see Cubasis VST mentioned ANYWHERE on the Steinberg site. Everything routes to the repurposed naming of the iOS app, which doesn’t help me much.

Is there some application in particular that I can download/use/buy to open these just so I can export them? Am I out of luck with all these .cpr/.all/.arr files now? Can I somehow convert them to a more modern filetype, and then open them, and if so, which application would I use to open the converted files in Win8.1?

I run Cubasis VST 5 on Win8.0 without problems, as well as SX2 and Cubase 4 (=SX4). Perhaps if you could describe why VST4 and LE don’t work, we might be able to help you.

The .all (project) files from VST can only be read by Cubase versions 3 and lower.

The message you get from the Cubase 7 trial refers to the dongle driver, but installing this trial is not going to help you.

as far as describing why they don’t work: they just hang. i get the splash screen, after about ten minutes, the splash turns into a white box, and nothing happens. This is with both Cubasis VST4 and Cubase LE. I left LE’s white splash screen go for approx. an hour or so, and it made no progress. This persists after a couple of re-installs.

If other people have no problem running, I suppose I’ll assume there is some kind of hardware compatibility.

I’m running an Inspiron N5110
Intel Core i7 2670QM(2.20GHz)
8GB Memory 750GB HDD
NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M
Audio, is some kind of integrated audio, that I’m certain far exceeds what I used with Cubasis almost ten years ago

If I were to find some way to buy and install Cubase 3, assuming I could get it to work, I could open the .all files from Cubasis VST 4.0?

sidetrack… If I were installing a trial, why would I get an error regarding a dongle driver?