Opposite reverb panning

Probably not the clearest thread title!

I’ve been listening to a producer talk about widening a guitar sound by panning the reverb to the opposite side.
So I have a track with 2 slightly different guitar parts, one panned left and one right and I want to pan the reverb of each part to its corresponding opposite.

So would I be right in assuming I need to set up 2 FX tracks each with a reverb, pan them left and right and then route the right and left guitar tracks to them? I’m probably not explaining this very well.

Is there a better way of doing this?

Thanks

No problem, that’s quite clear. And you’re correct on how to set it up.

You might also want to check out setting the Pan Controls on the Guitar and Reverb Tracks to Stereo Combined Panner which will let you dial in the panning positions & edges of each Track in greater detail (Cubase Pro only though).

Thanks raino.
I tried this and with normal panning moving the reverb to the other side does drag the guitar into the centre somewhat.

I’ve read up on the stereo combined panning you recommended and that does sound just the ticket but it seems this is only available on a stereo track. Will I have to re-record the guitars as stereo tracks?
All the vids I’ve watched say guitars should always be mono tracks.

No need to re-record. Just create a Stereo Audio Track and drag your audio from the Mono Track onto the Stereo Track.

Good grief I’m just oozing noob aren’t I?! :slight_smile:

Thanks again mate, bloody obvious if I had half a brain!
I’m away from the machine now but looking forward to trying this later.

I really appreciate all the help I’m getting here, great forum.

I’ve been messing around with this stuff for years and never really got it together properly but I have a very nice setup here now and am just loving delving into everything. I know many of you do this for a living which I greatly admire but for me it’s just fun, I can enjoy it with no pressure and it’s a real buzz.
My project so far has a few guitars, some bass, some drum tracks and a Halion 6 pad with loads of effects and automation thrown in, it’s probably bloody awful but I feel like Trevor Horn when I’m sitting there!

Wonderful stuff.

CombatPython… I am very much along the same track as you :slight_smile:… I mean, no real pressure on what I am doing.
Your attitude is great - you are fond of learning and you ask questions that people can understand and therefore also offer help.

Enthusiasm and positive approaches… I love that!

Have fun!

Ernst

Thanks Elien, I’m having a blast with it, just wish I had more spare time!

I followed raino’s suggestion to copy the parts over to stereo tracks and use the stereo combined panning, man that opened up a whole maze of places to visit.

That’s the thing with this stuff, you think “I’ll just quickly try moving this slider over here” and suddenly it’s 2 o’clock in the morning, I’m surrounded by endless A4 pages of scribbles and 5 empty beer cans and I’m still fiddling with that same slider! No wonder you guys spend a lifetime learning this stuff.

I didn’t get the stereo combined panning sorted, I got distracted by repeatedly EQing my rubbish drum tracks for a couple of hours which resulted in it ending up sounding exactly the same as when I started! I learned stuff though.

It’s like when you go shopping with your other half.
She tries a pair of shoes on but she isn’t sure, so you spend three hours dragging round every shoe shop in town and eventually she goes back and buys the first pair she tried on!

Going to have another crack at the panning later in the week, I’ve actually harshed the guitar sound somewhat so I’ll need to re-trace some steps.

I feel with you, CombatPython - concerning the time issue… I have been a single parent of four for a long time and now - years later - my handicapped dauther is still living with me. And of couse I have to work for a living as well.
Making music almost always had a place in my life - sometimes with more time, sometimes with less or none - but it always felt great.
I permanently discover new things :slight_smile:. One of them is : No mixing is ever ready. When you take the result a couple of days later, you have new ideas… etc. I LOVE THIS.
If you want to improve your recording and mixing I recommend some reading: THe recording engineer’s handbook and “the mixing engineer’s” handbook.
Have fun!

Yes, they are classics for a reason. If you like learning from videos the Groove 3 All Access Pass is worthwhile. Also stuff about older versions of Cubase is still good as most everything in them is still the same in 10.5