(option to) Consolidate all files to single folder on save or save as

As a long time cubase user, there are still some simple things I get frustrated at cubase not having the ability to do.

One of these functions is to have the ability to consolidate all files associated with a project (audio, video, custom samplers, etc.) into one folder.

The most common issue with this at present is when saving a currently existing project as a different title, in a different folder than the one in which it was originally created. The project file will save in the new place, but many of the functions and its data are still tied to the original folder. If you are doing cues for media of any kind, that require you use and adapt previous cues for later in the program, this can quickly become a nightmare to track where all of the audio etc has been stored, and what files can be safely moved or deleted without breaking a whole chain of projects.

From a laymanā€™s perspective, this would seem like a simple feature to include - find all data, copy all data, save all data in new file, rebind pathing to these newly copied and saved files.

With hope and thanks from a humble user,

Benjie

Did you try Pool > Prepare Archive?

1 Like

Thanks, just tried that out and it seems to do most of the things that I need, thank you!

This does help a lot, however there are two things that would make this function a lot better. The first is the convenience (and I admit this is very much convenience motivated) of having this function on saving the project to a new location, and the second is the option to save any custom sampler instruments, virtual instrument patches etc to the folder also. I assume that this second aspect would be much harder to implement.

Thanks for your response!

Back up project?
Instead of saving project into new location try Back Up project. Does the same and copies all the files into new location.

2 Likes

@Rudal is correct

If you are using ā€œFile>Save Asā€¦ā€ to create the new Project, it will use the old Projects Audio Folder. It is really intended to create variants of the same Project for example Stereo & Surround versions. It should only be used to save Projects into the same Folder.

ā€œFile>Backup Projectā€¦ā€ in my opinion is very poorly named. What it really does is create a brand new totally independent Project in its own Folder that is based on the currently active Project. To the extent that creating any copy is a form of backup, then maybe. But the name obscures its main use.

3 Likes

Thanks for the other suggestion @Rudal, however this also isnā€™t ideal as it keeps the current project open and saves a dormant project to a new folder. The function is correct, but it doesnā€™t allow you to then immediately work within the newly saved project, you have to close the current project and then reopen the ā€˜backed upā€™ project.

I realise this all sounds rather petty, but the convenience of being able to save a project to a new location with all associated media, and to then continue working in that new project without having to close and open a new project, is a far preferable workflow. So far the suggestion that @misohoza had of saving the project to a new folder and then ā€˜prepare archiveā€™ is more convenient for workflow as you can keep the active project open. Iā€™m now being very picky and suggesting that perhaps the ā€˜prepare archiveā€™ function could be rolled into the ā€˜save asā€™ dialog, so that you have the option to carry all associated media across with you at that point.

I donā€™t know how many people out there use cubase for scoring and cue based composing, canā€™t imagine its a big deal for music producers, but for folk like me it would make a decent difference.

Thanks for your suggestions!

1 Like

Hi,

There is the Keep Current Project Active option in the Back up Project Options dialog. If you disable it, the new (backup) project becomes active automatically and you can work on the new one immediately.

2 Likes

Hi @Martin.Jirsak , thatā€™s perfect. This is definitely the solution. I think for less technically minded folk like me an option to do this in the save dialog would be preferable, but certainly this is the workflow I was after.

Thanks everyone!

1 Like