Option to generate a list of used plugins

I would like to have the ability to generate a list, a text file, with all the plugins used in a specific project. It would help me in the process of sending a Cubase project (the whole folder with audio, tracks, .cpr file and so on). It would be really nice if the person I send the project to has a list so s/he knows what plugins to get in order to get the project to work properly.

5 Likes

It would be good to have a meta database which keeps track of all plugins in all songs

2 Likes

+1

i had to spend time manually marking this down during project-archiving for backward-compatibility’s sake - and was wishing this was implemented as well.

very generally speaking, it would be nice to see future ‘plugins’ transform into the form of ‘modules’ that could be instantly downloaded and compiled as a project loads. i am aware i’m not talking forseeable future here…

This is yet another among my ‘Version Control’ and ‘Project Management’ feature requests that go back years.

What is mildly gratifying to me is that it appears that others are finally getting on board.

It’s long past time for Cubase to take this sort of thing seriously.

A good model is what is used in the printing biz… it’s called a Pre-Flight Report. (See InDesign). It shows one ALL the assets required for a project (images, fonts, the devices used). Cubase should be able to have a similar facility. It could start with a report that listed:
…input devices
…VST plugs used
…out config
…MIDI tracks, with assigned gizmos
…ext. hardware
…etc…

So when you opened an archived CPR you’d know what you needed. Or if you move a CPR to another place you can know ahead of time what they will need.

6 Likes

Another good and seemingly easy to implement feature.

1 Like

And while we’re on requesting a metadata reporting feature, why couldn’t we have “history” metadata also:
Dates and times of all

• recordings (both MIDI and audio)
  • off-line processings
  • bounces
  • etc
1 Like

+1

+1

You might check out plugview (windows), it will read the contents of the cpr and list the used plugins and number of instances. You can copy the list to the clipboard. I use it with Cubase 8.
https://solasistim.wordpress.com/2010/03/27/plugview-a-little-insight-into-your-daw-projects/

1 Like

Plugview seems to be exactly what I’m looking for! Thank you very much!

+10

I’ve been hassling the makers of my other DAW to implement this for years. Still waiting there…

1 Like

+1
would also like to see CPU usage per plugin so I can better budget CPU cycles and easily track down which tracks need to be frozen or bounced

1 Like

That sounds like I really nice feature to be implemented. It deserves an own thread in ‘Feature Requests and Suggestions’!

1 Like

+++ STEINBERG wake up please !!!

2 Likes

This is much more important with the announced removal of VST2 support in the coming 2 years. The ability to have a list of all projects with the version of Cubase used together with the list of Plugins (and their format) used is going to be key to allow users to manage the migration and keep just the older versions of Cubase needed to be able to go back to work on older tracks.

3 Likes

I got scared when I clicked that link and found the blog had been deleted, but I located the tool on the author’s site: twodev | plugview

Thanks for posting about this- it’s something I’ve always wanted as well!

EDIT: The tool hasn’t been updated since 2011 but still reads modern Cubase CPRs and seems to correctly detect plugins used. Its feature to identify missing plugins doesn’t seem to work right, but that’s no dealbreaker. Also, I see it was developed by the same guy who did ReSonic Player, which is a tool I use frequently. Cool!

6 Likes

Are there any news about a Tool like this? Unfortunatelly there are no more Updates on PlugView and it’s for Windows only. I’m a Mac User. A Tool like this would be so great because Steinberg will cut the Support for VST2 in the Next Version. So this way I can look on specific Project Files where I ues VST2 Plugins and change them to VST3 Version

Just noticed the “Vote” option on top of the thread …

1 Like

I agree, I’ve made a similar request in the past, should be built in or maybe even a standalone app, hopefully including the version number of the plugin as that may make a difference.
With so many plugins available, it’s hard keeping track of what has been used over the years.

Just bumping this up. This is one of the many ways audio has still never caught up with visual artists. In video and illustrator programs it’s been standard to generate a “pre-flight checklist” when sending a project on for any kind of publishing.

I assume this is considered “unnecessary” since “real engineers” want to work from stems. It’s a shame for many reasons.

1 Like