organising cubase projects

hey guys so I have alot of sound design & random sessions where I try to make bunch of sounds or try different things.

my question is: is it recommended to make a subfolder inside “cubase projects” and put all tjhose projects in there?

like…how do you archive your main projects from your other ones
I dont want to run into loading problems/missing files etc…

cheers
x

My current projects are going to a separate harddrive in the computer on a RAID 0 Array, which are then backed up after any work being done using Acronis.

Extra Projects are kept on organized externals. Extra/Archive Client Projects in a folder organized by name of client. Personal Extra Projects organized in genre/type

I use the Library System to organize exports of all these projects - whether ideas, or major mix revisions, etc. For each project/Album, I create a Library. Libraries can be left open while you open and close projects, it’s like having a separate project open except that the project is nothing but a Pool. This allows quick reference to ideas that were recorded, mix revisions, elements, video clips, etc.

I follow a really simple system, I create experimental projects on the desktop, in subfolders if necessary, and if they go somewhere I move them to the folder structure for ‘real’ projects.

The real projects are backed up to Google Drive in real time, and everything is backed up using time machine.

File management in Cubase is a mess. If you need to be organized and efficient - use LogicX.

In Cubase, you will have to first designate a project location, then you will have to create a project folder, then you will have to save your session name. Once you’ve done that, all your .bac files will be spread out in the open in the folder with your session file. I don’t know why the hell they don’t have a .bak folder like they do for Audio and Edit like everyone else does. Its just redundant and messy and not conducive to efficient workflow because you have to look for your session icon.

1 Like

Huh? Why would you separate .bak and .cpr? they are one in the same thing. One is done automatically, the other manually, but usually you want to look at both next each other… not flip back and forth between two locations.

irst designate a project location, then you will have to create a project folder, then you will have to save your session name.

so Cubase is forcing you to have proper project management and you’re mad?
Most ridiculous complaint ever, go away to Logic.

if all you want to see is .cpr… ummm… go to that little search bar thing your OS has and search ‘.cpr’

The Cubase file management works perfect for me. Just make sure that you create projects from a template that was not saved with a shared pool. Once you are sure the template was created correctly, make sure to have the “prompt for project location” option enabled in the Steinberg Hub and save each new project to it’s own new folder (which of course can be located within a top “Cubase Projects” folder). Quite simple really once you adapt your workflow accordingly.

Having Cubase .bak files saved with the Cubase project .cpr file should be a non-issue unless, for some reason, you are always opening .bak files due to an underlying Cubase issue.

Regards. :sunglasses:

Yeah, I did all that. But when that is all set up and done, why would you want to click 5 times and type in two naming conventions, when you only need to click twice and type one naming convention. When you have 30 cues pr episode of a one hr show, it starts to be annoying and waste time.

And why aren’t the .bak files in a folder (like every other daw) as the Audio File, Edits, Images and Track Picture. You rather have 15 .bak files cluttering your folder to find that one .cpr session file in the middle?

Yes, because when I want a .bak file, I want to see it in reference to the .cpr file.

Why are you separating your cues by projects? Shouldn’t the episode be the project, containing all cues?

I never see the bak files because I open the projects from inside Cubase, and then only the cpr files are shown:) Maybe mac is different, I wouldn’t know.
Also, just check “prompt for project location” and the whole routine becomes really simple.
I think you are struggling because you are so used to something else, and having not tried logic I can’t really comment on your comparisons. But I can’t help wanting to ask why you are using Cubase when you so clearly champion Logic?

Definitely off topic but, hopefully this will assist the OP to understand a little better…

I don’t see an issue with them all in the same folder. I suppose it wouldn’t hurt to have them stored in their own separate folder though.

Cubase .bak files are there as a catch all when there is a problem with Cubase. Even though the option for saving them is named “Autosave” they really are not what you would think as a typical autosave. If for some reason you need to save different versions of a project then you should use the “Save As” function and name the project version accordingly so that you can easily find and open the one you want. Pretty easy for me to see a file named differently with the .cpr extension.

Regards :sunglasses:

EXACTLY!! Thank you. My point as intended but obviously misunderstood.

I have been using Cubase since version 5. Cubase was my first DAW back in 2009. I have upgraded through every version since then. But back in 2010, I got hired at a music production house and studio and have been working professionally in music production for ads and tv since then. At that point I had to use Logic and Pro Tools a lot. Pro Tools I used strictly for music editing and source tracks (licensed music in tv), and Logic ended up taking over the composing part because it was just easier to use and faster and less crashes.

However, I still have a love for Cubase and since I am between shows right now and not working toward network deadlines, I committed myself to giving Cubase a real chance before I give up and turn back again. (I did this with Cubase 8 and 9 as well but had to revert back to Logic for efficiency reasons.)

So my complaints here, which comes as dismay to many, are actually out of love because I see Cubase can be so much better, but also just as efficient as the other industry standards. (We all saw how Cubase 9 took pages from Logic with the Side Panels and Lower Panels which was a good move.)

But the .bak files would still be in the Project folder, but in their own sub folder like Audio and Edits. Makes sense, right?

My god no…30+ cues in one episode and the same Project folder? Can you imagine that audio folder and Media bin mess? Not to even think about having over 200 .bak files in your face while trying to look for that once cue in the episode you need to edit…

Whenever I need a .bak file - I want to be seeing the .cpr they are referenced to. You could just back up your projects, and then delete the .bak files in the active project. Or limit the # of .baks. It’s never bothered me. I prefer seeing a complete overview - I also often organize the .cpr and .baks by time/date created in order to narrow down what it is I’m trying to retrieve. or if I’m trying to avoid something causing a crash… So no, it doesn’t make sense to have them separated.

There shouldn’t be a mess in your audio folder if you are naming things properly and the Project Pool, you can create folders and sub-folders. You can also create Libraries of all episodes and cues so that you can have organized cross access to sounds/clips from previous episodes/cues. A lot of people don’t realize how useful the Cubase Library is, it’s essentially a project that is only a pool that stays open and can be accessed while any other project is open, and it can playback any sample-rate regardless of what samplerate the active project is in.

If you stay on top of naming everything, you use folders in the pool, you shouldn’t have problems.

Hah, I did not see that one coming, from your posts I thought it clear you weren’t used to Cubase at all :blush:

Cubase could definitely use some improvement here. The only sensible way to organize your projects is with a folder per project. The user interface should guide you towards that, like Logic does. Instead you have to create a folder, then save your project to that folder. That can be a momentum killer when you’re trying to get an idea down quickly, especially since it means typing in the name twice. And, because Cubase gives no help to new users about how to organize your projects, I can see how this would seem mystifying.

Regarding .bak files, I agree it’s annoying to have those polluting the project folder. But, since it’s important to keep audio files relative to the project file, I don’t see an easy solution to that.

Thanks Glenn - my point EXACTLY.

Solution to polluting .bak files in your main session folder: put them all in a Back Up Folder (see pic). Steinberg needs to set this up like the did Audio Files, Edits, Images, Track Pictures.

Yeah, I can see why that comes across. No worries. I just really, really, want to work in Cubase, but I am sick of having to turn back to other DAW’s because of some very simple rudimentary issues. Also, I keep paying for the upgrades so I am somewhat committed financially too.

no no no no no, keep the .baks and .cprs together. It would be so frigging annoying to have them apart, that makes no sense. They are relative and important to each other and need to be organized by - Time/Date created - together on the same list.

All you have to do is search ‘.cpr’ in finder/explorer.

On PC Windows, when I’m in the project folder where the .cprs are. All I have to do is: Press ‘F3’ on my keyboard which cues windows explorer search, and type ‘.cpr’ - it took literally one second.

in terms of starting a new project.

Create Empty Project or Select a Template. Select the root destination (desktop or write drive),

‘Ctrl+Shift+N’ creates a new folder with the name ready to be typed. Type name ‘Artist - Song’, ‘ctrl+a’ copy to clipboard ‘ctrl+c’, hit ‘Enter’ hit ‘Tab’ twice, hit ‘Enter’ again. You’re in the project

Ctrl+s to save. paste the folder name you copied. press enter.

This could maybe be cleaned up a bit, but I can still do this in three seconds.

At least there are a couple of replies on this thread that actually reply to the OP’s OP. :unamused:

Regards. :sunglasses: