Organizing Brackets

Dear all,

I arranged an orchestral piece of mine for concert band and I’m looking for ways to make the conductor’s score as practical as possible.

One of the things I did was creating player groups in setup mode in a way that makes sense in the context of this specific piece. The main result being, that brackets show around those groups in the full score.

However, the four percussionists are not connected by a bracket even though I put them in one group. Is there a way to achieve this?

Thanks a lot and by the way, Dorico has AMAZING features that I never dreamt of for laying out scores with a very high number of players! Thank you so much for making our lives easier! :smiley:

It depends on the bracketing approach selected for your full score in Layout Options > Brackets and Braces and whether you have any bracket/barline changes.

I selected Layout Options - Brackets and Braces - “orchestral” if that is what you mean. I don’t think I have bracket/barine changes. (I’m not hiding empty staves.)

Perhaps share the project or a cut-down then?

Sorry for disappearing for so long… Here is a cut-down of my project.Brackets Cut-down.dorico (1.9 MB)

Aha, quite a few of the percussion instruments in this excerpt are pitched and braced (e.g. marimba). I suspect the reason they’re not bracketing is due to the variety of pitched vs unpitched percussion instruments.

I was just checking what Gould recommends, and she writes -

As a general rule, the timpani part appears on a separate stave above the percussion section. However, where timpani form part of one percussion player’s group of instruments, place the timpani stave within the percussion section.

So perhaps even where the timpani and glockenspiel are bracketed together one could consider splitting them, although yours looks like one of those instances where the timpani is part of the percussion section.

You can use custom bracketing to force a single bracket across all percussion-y staves, but you might lose the nuance of which staves belong to the marimba, although again an additional custom sub-bracket could be deployed. It’s up to you I suppose. example below.

Brackets Cut-down_LH.dorico (1.8 MB)

Great! Thank you so much!