Organizing / Reordering Busses in Audio Connections

I’m new to cubase and one thing I can’t seem to find an answer to is if you can change the order of the busses (inputs and outputs) in the Audio Connections dialog. I’ve set up several templates carefully inputting all my inputs and outs for my setup (UAD Apollo with additional 8 ADAT ins and outs). When I load the preset in a new project or if I load a project template, the busses appear in a completely random order from what I had made. This is highly annoying when trying to set up a bunch of audio tracks and trying to route them quickly. Is there a way to re-order things so that they follow a natural logic (Apollo 1-8, ADAT 1-8, Virtual 1-4, etc…)?

I’ve looked through the manual and on the forums here, but it seems like maybe it can’t be done?

1 Like

Hi and welcome,

Unfortunately you can’t change the buses order in the Audio Connections.

+1
I’ve been a longtime Nuendo & Cubase user. This has been a long time request. The entire Audio connections is ancient and completely nonsensical. Horrible work flow. When creating a new preset you should be able to reorganize, select the device port when naming the bus, being able to create assign and name as many bus’ as you need. Instead you have to go one by one naming and assigning a device port. The ability to Modify presets would also be great. . arrg so brutal, very clumsy. Too much mouse clicking. Too many issues to list here.
Pease Steinberg work flow is paramount!
Julius

2 Likes

This IS a bit of a pain, yes. What I have to do is make sure I choose my saved settings first from the drop down, then make changes, then save. Or I make the changes, hit save, make sure I remember what ti is called, hit save and overwrite.

I agree, this section could definitely get some improvement!

I agree, this window is totally outdated.

Furthermore, even when re-ordering everything in a clean and logical way, Cubase changes the order itself when opening a new project or anything else. No way to have it working as it should…

1 Like

As a new user to cubase, I found several items that seemed wierd, one if which is bus creation. Using the studio set-up kind of makes sense for external outputs, but I should be able to create internal busses by right clicking on the Mixer page at least. Cubase, while powerful, has me staring at the sceen helplessly more than any other DAW I have used. I hope Cubase 11 helps with this.

Hi,

You can add internal buses/Channels from the MixConsole or Project window. Which one do you refer to?

I really wish the bus list, by default, followed the project order rather than the order added. Can’t find any way to change this aside from deleting and recreating all routing. In Pro Tools, you can just drag your routing into whatever order you’d like. If I’m not missing something, this seems like a baffling oversight in Cubase.

2 Likes

Hi,

Unfortunately it’s not possible to change the order of Inputs and Outputs in the Audio Connection window.

Well, there should be some way to change it. :smiley: It’s insanely cumbersome to do so right now. This is such a basic workflow issue.

1 Like

+1
I wish its possible to reorder the bus list because this list affects also the view order in the visibility tab of mixer and edit window.

3 Likes

+1 on this. I’m tired of all my newly created fx buses ending up at the bottom of the list. It’s untidy and a real pita when you have a busy project and constantly have to scroll up and down to find which fx bus you need to connect to.

6 Likes

+1

Long time user of Cubase. Eagerly waiting for a Sort By option to be implemented into Audio Connections. Thought I could temporarily solve the problem by creating Presets, but even that doesn’t help :woman_facepalming:

5 Likes

+1
For the possibility to reorder the bus list. The whole audio connection tab is really cumbersome to use & set up. I do Atmos mixing, and it requires setting up & reconfigure up to 128 buses, e.g. removing two mono ones to combine them into a single stereo bus. I would love to see a graphical I/O matrix style of setup with this type of flexibility in future versions to make this process easier

1 Like

+1
it is very annoying that this feature is still missing…

2 Likes

+1

Annoyance compounds when working with Atmos projects…

2 Likes

Still the same audio connections window in Nuendo 12. Could really do with a graphical, matrix style setup that easily customisable in future versions - that will mean way less clicking when setting up your I/O’s

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. This is a giant pain.

3 Likes

+1 on this issue

1 Like

This is by far my biggest bone to pick with cubase. I have 5 audio devices … at least outputs has preset options. but external plugins is still living in 1985 – it’s ridiculous there are no presets for external plugins routing! one glitch and cubase loses the routings and they all have to be chosen again one by one. a total pain in the ass.

3 Likes