OSX trouble - lots of crashing

I purchased Nuendo a few months ago for use on my iMac (Late 2015, 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5, 32GB 1867 MH:z DDR3 with a 4TB SSD) and have been experiencing terrible crashes when using Nuendo. There doesn’t seem to be anything particularly triggering them, just this morning I was simply dragging some audio when the entire system freezed up, forcing me to hard restart. These crashes seem to only happen when I use Nuendo 10. I have tried wiping the system completely and re-installing Nuendo but alas, the same thing.

I can’t seem to locate any specific crash logs but managed to find this one referencing a crash I had earlier this morning. I’m really hoping somebody would be able to help as Nuendo is perfect for my line of work. I moved to my PC for a few months working flawlessly with Nuendo but alas, the PC is too noisy for me to function professionally. So hoping to get it up and running on the Mac.

Below is a link to the log for somebody clever to look at, thank you! :slight_smile:

Link: Kernal - JustPaste.it

Hi and welcome,

Could you attach the *.crash file, please?

Mac: macOS Console utility > User Reports folder or Crash Reports in macOS 10.15 (or ~user/Library/Logs/Diagnostic Reports).

Which OSX are you using?

I have read reports online of iMacs crashing when dragging objects around the screen, with different DAWs.
Might be a crappy video driver that is doing this.
Check the almighty interwebs.

I actually started a thread about a similar (possibly identical) issue.

It’s been happening to me since at least the first N10 update, on different Macs (MB Pro, iMac, 12-core desktop) and OSs (High Sierra through Mojave).

I’ve been able to identify it as, at least in MY case, length of time the project’s been open. If I’ve been working for more than, say, 4 or 5 hours without a break, it’s time to close Nuendo and open again. Restart not required. But if I don’t… things can happen. Usually there’s a warning sign-- a short, but long enough to notice hang with beach ball. To me that says, “Save now and restart, Dummy, or you know what’s next.”

If I don’t… a serious hang/freeze will ensue sometime in the next 15 minutes. If a file is playing when it happens, audio will continue, but meters will freeze, all system commands unresponsive. If I walk away and let it work it out on its own, two out of three times Nuendo will come back within the next five to ten minutes. If I pound keys and move cursors and try to shift focus to the Finder, it’ll almost always crash the app after that five or ten (anecdotal on this; no hard data).

It happens if I’m using only Nuendo plugins, it happens when I’m using 3rd-party plugins. It happens using my RME FireFace 800, it happens with my Steinberg UR-22.

I’ve learned to work with this, and now restart Nuendo periodically if I’m in a marathon, so I have no crash logs to send. My point here is that it’s clearly an issue (even if the issue is that I’m practicing poor production hygiene by working that long without a break, or without giving the app a break).

I should add, and I haven’t had a chance to test this out yet-- there is the hypothetical, but very real possibility that my issues come from using templates from previous Nuendo versions. I intent to rebuild mine in the name of potentially taking care of it, but have been too busy. Are you using previous version files as templates? That’s been a historical problem. In my case, because I’m working around the issue and it’s not that much of a problem for me at present, I’m waiting for N11 before I rebuild my templates. It’ll take a while.

Chewy

1 Like

And… I just had one of those crashes, and saved the crash file: Dropbox - File Deleted

Curious about this… my video card is an AMD Radeon HD 7950.

Chewy

Thread 83 Crashed:: CVDisplayLink0 libGL.dylib 0x00007fff48e825c4 glMatrixMode + 151 com.izotope.audioplugins.RX7Connect0x0000000138ccacf3 0x138aa6000 + 22479232 com.izotope.audioplugins.RX7Connect0x0000000138cd0a32 0x138aa6000 + 22717943 com.apple.CoreVideo 0x00007fff41b0e901 CVDisplayLink::performIO(CVTimeStamp*) + 2334 com.apple.CoreVideo 0x00007fff41b0ddd6 CVDisplayLink::runIOThread() + 6265 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x00007fff6bfe52eb _pthread_body + 1266 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x00007fff6bfe8249 _pthread_start + 667 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x00007fff6bfe440d thread_start + 13

If it is for a secondary display, there is the issue. Maybe a bad cable, or something else related.

It has to do with a 3D virtual driver for one of your video cards (unless you only have one).

An update is needed, maybe? Not sure.

The libGL.dylib is a virtual 3D driver library for displaying things like the tracks in a DAW, but not menus or other peripheral images which do not need constant updating.

It is part of the OpenGL video architecture.

I’m definitely going to revisit this after rebuilding my templates. But no point in doing that before 11 comes out. Another day I won’t get back…Just gotta remember to save regularly!

As far as troubleshooting goes, that’s about all I can come up with–as noted before, this has happened on multiple computers, with various monitor configurations, interfaces, graphics cards and RAM. We shall see! Mr. Noeq, whoever you are :wink: thanks for looking into it!

Chewy

Reading over the crash thread Chewy, and one question: Do you have the Isotope RX7 plug in enabled in your template? That is the “thing” that caused this crash. Maybe crash another template or two, and see if it is the same one, or a different plug in?

I am not familiar with that plug in, or it’s GUI. Does it have a window that updates in realtime, as you playback audio through it, or when you play back Nuendo? That would be the culprit. In the crash log, it is the one trying to access the OpenGL video driver, unsuccessfully.

The few templates I do have, I do not ever have plug ins as part of them, just track counts, audio hardware routing. But never active plug ins of any kind. Because they can and do this sort of silliness. I usually also never know exactly which plug in processing I’ll end up using on any particular piece of audio. Helps me from getting into sonic ruts. :wink:

These types of crashes always happen because more than one “thing”, in this case Nuendo plus that isotope plug in, are trying to access the same video driver, probably at the same time, and the computer simply says “NO”.

Thus my method for any templates…

Dr. No,

Much as you, I tend not to have plugins included–unless I need to duplicate a specific situation exactly–for instance, variations on the theme for the TV show I’m scoring–have to keep stuff pretty much to spec, so my output chain is both in the template and available as a preset. And virtual instruments in this scenario are kept built-in, as well. These plugin (largely UAD) and virtual instrument-heavy sessions are not giving me any trouble (though I’m not running any RXs).

For audiobooks (where I’m having the issue), until this week, when I got Soothe2 (worthy of its own thread!) I was using only Nuendo’s included plugins, and only a small handful of them: Compressor, Expander, DeEsser, Brickwall Limiter.

Any serious, broad-stroke noise reduction, mouth noise, loudness adjustment, etc is done by batch in RX before I even open and import into Nuendo. At this point I have presets for many of my readers and their alleged studios.

I do not have any instances of RX plugins in my template. I use RX modules only as DOPs, accessing the standalone app via RX Connect (a non-inserted plugin). The standalone app is always open in the background, but not running WITH Nuendo.

One might wonder why others (lots of others) wouldn’t be having this same issue, given RX’s dominance of the post and audiobook bizzes these days. And, again, why I’m experiencing it on so many different machines. We shall see!

Chewy

1 Like

My late 2013 Mac Pro crashes all the time with 10.0, 10.1, 10.3. I noticed it happening:

-after long periods of being open, usually 2 hours or more
-only when closing a project, or after closing and setting up a new project
-sometimes when switching projects with different sample rates

I’ve never had it crash while working on a project - that I remember.

1 Like