OT: How to use Bravura Text?

I work on a pet project where I need Bravura Text.

What I don’t understand is how one is really supposed to use it to get great results. E.g., ♭ and # are almost OK out of the box (better than the non-text Bravura), but 𝄫 and some other glyphs are not aligned with the text at all.

Given that those same symbols look great in Dorico (e.g. using 𝄫 in a chord name would produce a text with all glyphs having the same height), I assume there is lots of work being done behind the scenes, basically scaling each glyph to the text font size. The problem is, I don’t think the UI framework I use would even allow me to go to this level of detail, and even if it did, it seems like a huge amount of work.

I’m thinking of manually sizing glyphs in Bravura Text, basically making a customised version of Bravura Text to match the size of the text font I’ll use. I only need a handful of symbols and just a few text fonts, so that should work.

Am I missing something obvious or is this the way to go?

PS: I could not find a better place to ask, there is no SMuFL Steinberg forum

What app are you working in? Apps handle different type on the same line in different ways (or with different default settings)?

I use flutter

There’s no jiggery-pokery going on in Dorico when you mix regular text and characters from Bravura Text in the same run of text. The whole point of the font is that it’s designed for use along with a regular text font. However, it’s worth noting that all of the glyphs that can be positioned via ligatures (using the “combining staff positions” glyphs) will look smaller in comparison because they have to be scaled such that the height of the staff is equivalent to the line height of the text font.

Ohh that is genius!

So to show A flat, I would need something like

A<span style="font-family:'BravuraText';font-size: 24px;">&#xEB9A;&#xE260;=</span>

This almost works, just the flat sign is a few pixels too low.
Screenshot 2020-11-25 at 21.58.53.png

Yes, that’s the idea, though in fact for the regular accidental signs, I recommend you use the standard Unicode code points, i.e. U+266D, U+266E and U+266F. Those characters are positioned and scaled specially by default so that they look good e.g. for “B♭” without needing any special positioning.

1 Like