Overlapping voices with triplets and semiquavers

What is the best way to make the third quaver of a triplet and the sixteenth note after a dotted quaver in another voice overlap?

Here, the sixteenth notes and the quaver b in the second bar have been shifted to the left, but perhaps there is a more elegant solution. This notation occurs quite often in the piece.

Triplets and dotted quavers

Provided you are sure which voice is subordinate to which (i.e., which one should be “technically wrong”), use hidden nested tuplets.

For the example in the first bar (e and s standing for eighth and sixteenth, respectively, just to be sure):
3e:2e
and within that:
3s:4s and 1s:2s

2 Likes

Thanks, Alexander, I’ll give that a try. “Technically wrong” are the sixteenth notes that are supposed to be played with the third triplet note. And the eight note in the soprano that should come together with the second note of the triplet.

The alignment of the sixteenth notes to the third triplet with 3s:4s worked fine, also the soprano b in the second bar could be aligned with the second triplet with 6e:4e
Triplets and dotted quavers-2
What is missing now are the rhythm dots before the sixteenth notes. I tried with 1s:2s, but that doesn’t seem to work here. I attach the file.
Test with Tuplets.dorico (479.3 KB)

The operative bit really is to nest the tuplets. The way you started is actually better than my initial suggestion, since it will ultimately work with one tuplet less:

1 Like

Looks perfect. It’s still not working here :thinking:. Can you please attach the file so I can see what you’ve done. Thanks!

I FINALLY get it :sweat_smile:
Triplets and dotted quavers-3
Thanks !

1 Like