Overview of Audio parts

I was wondering if there is an option to view a complete list of all the (audio) parts that are present in a project. I have one large audio file which I cut into many different parts. I change the description name to identify the parts. It would be great if I could have an overview of all these parts, just like the Pool window. The pool only shows the actual files used, not the parts. And the Media bay only shows files as well.

Compare it to the Regions list in Protools. Does Nuendo have anything like this?

• Select all events in the project window
  • Audio → Advanced → Event or range as region

These will then appear in your pool window as regions although you’ll probably have to rename them.

Thanks, it sort of does what I mean, but it is not really convenient. All the regions appear in the pool but there names are copied from the track name. (Audio 01-1, Audio 01-2 etc). I would have to rename all of them to identify them. I already have edited the discription of the events to identify them. When I have more than 100 events that takes a lot of time.

Also, when I create a new event by splitting 1 event into 2 events. I would have to manually add that to the pool.

In Protools, everytime when you create a new region (by splitting a region) it appears in the region list. You can then simply rename this region without changing the actual filename. I’d love to see a feature like this in Nuendo!

I would ask what do you actually need the regions for?

For example, I have a large file of about 3 hours of raw material. When listening through this material I split all the parts that I need and give them a description to identify them. Then, when editing all these regions it would be very convenient if I had an overview of all them in a list with corresponding description so I can quickly navigate to them when I need it, instead of having to zoom out and search for the part that I need.

Try using the Project → Browser feature. There are also other methods you could use where you rename and bounce to a new event which is then scanned in Mediabay (giving you access to Mediabay features like tagging and searching). Of course if you’re used to the concept of regions then you can just add and name as you go for the future (very easy to do through the sample editor window).

Yes! the project browser looks very promising. Thanks!

Bouncing to a new event is not really an option for me. This will result in many individual files and it is just taking up too much time to bounce every single part. (I sometimes have more than 200 individual regions).

It takes almost zero time. Bounce in Nuendo is equivalent to Consolidate Regions in PT. The name of the bounced event will take on the event name you called it and you can do multiple bounces at once. There are many ways to get to the same destination in Nuendo.

Yes, I know, But I just don’t want to end up with so many seperate files. The Project browser is what I was looking for! :slight_smile:

We all do it wrong, and we are doing it wrong for ages.
Don’t cut up files in the project window., but define regions within a file.

This will allow you to view the complete list in the pool, drag any region into the project, and even bounce them all in one go into a specific folder. This workflow is about a gazillion times faster & clearer than cutting up the file into portions of which two minutes later you have forgotten which part contains what.

Fredo

Fredo, if you’re defining regions within a file, how do you go about in/out points and required fades? I’m curious if I can adapt this into my workflow to speed things up.

Do you see a difference in application for example? I mean, do you see a difference between editing takes out of a VO session, where the in / out points of each line is pretty clear and distinct, and on the other hand dialog editing where more care has to be placed on surrounding background ‘noise’…?

Hi Lydiot,

Of course, it depends on what you do, and how you want to do it.
The matter of fact is that, when you edit an event within the project window, you are just cutting up events, and after one minute you don’t remember which portion is where and why. (Unless the job is easy)
Suppose I am the director, and we have recorded a bunch of text with a gazillion retakes and alternative versions.
As a director, I ask you to play me a specific section. (Now you have to “guess” where this is located in your project.
As a director, I ask to let me hear the alternative takes of that one specific sentence.
As a director, I ask you to swap a specific portion with another

Now, unless you have put much effort into “documenting” your recording session, you will be in panic.
With my system -take a look at my screenshot-, I can drag/drop/audition any file that is been asked for within half a second. Defining regions is faster than cutting up events. you can even create regions from a cutted up-event. The extra mile you have to go is naming each region, but that is much less time consuming than documenting the project window. Actually, the naming of the regions is a simple copy/paste from the document the talent has used, the name of the talent and other information is added later by using the rename function.

Sure, it can’t be used for all editing jobs, depends on the workflow.
But pretty much anything that is recorded in one continious take, and has to be cut up later is worth considering this method. Take a another look at my screenshot, this is an example of a Radio promo. Talent has read several takes. (There is also a second/alternating voice involved, so they both have the same lines)
This is the basic work that is been done by an assitant. When the editor starts working on the promo, he just has to choose the takes and drop them in place. No more hassle of going through a long file to find what you need.

Fredo

It’s be nice to convert all events to regions and retain names along with a preference to auto-create regions from events. Of course you’d then need to add PT like functionality for cleaning up the pool window.

You can (Audio/advanced/Event or Range as Regions), but they don’t keep their name.
There is a basic naming protocol though …

Fredo

Hello Fredo,
Thanks for the reminder of that workflow. I do it wrong all the time. I’m going to give that a try.
Hugh

Yep, I can see that. And thanks for the tip. I think for dialog editing it’ll probably be less useful, but I can absolutely see how it is very useful for cutting a vo file for example, especially as you point out when it’s time to manage files.

I suppose I’ll just have to try it, and I guess judging from your description that it’s a great tool for labeling, management and initial selection, with some further work required after (i.e. in/out fades etc).