pan setting

hi, thanks for sharing your insights on panning. I have a question which i missed out last time.

1.in stereo balanced panner if pan is set to center it receives equal power of 2 signals .( one signal on L and the other signal on R).

2.in stereo combined panner its L - R. if pan is set to center, say C - C does it mean the same it receives equal power of 2 signals .( one signal on L and the other signal on R).

1. if yes than the default setting on stereo combined panner where it links L - R to the full is the same as C - C ( true center for both L - R.

i’ve enclosed a screen shot of the same.

i look forward for your replies.
Capture2.PNG
Capture 1.PNG

Aloha s,

There have always been some areas of Cubase that for the life of me I just can’t get my head around.

1-Until a year or so ago ‘Scoring and notation’ in Cubase was one of them.

Then forum members Steve from Chicago and vic_france gave me some different ways to look at it and ‘BAM’
I now have the app Sebelius on the shelf. Have not used it in over a year. Tanx guys.

2-Next is the ‘solo/mute’ functions. Just when I think i’ve got it, it slips away.
Never have figured that one. I’ll keep tryin’ tho’.
Example: I have one project that will only sound if every channel is solo’d.
If I un-solo one or more tracks, those tracks will not play. Other than that, the work sounds fine. :slight_smile:
Glad I have only one of those.
—go figure.

3-The third one is ‘Panning Settings’ and ‘Pan Law’. I still don’t quite get it but perhaps you will.
(I just use my ears)

From page 186-7 in the manual:

_Setting Pan
For each audio-related channel with at least a stereo output configuration, you can find a pan control at the top of the fader section. Cubase only: This control is different for stereo and surround configurations.
The pan control allows you to position a channel in the stereo spectrum.
• To make fine adjustments, hold down [Shift] when you move the pan control.
• To select the default center pan position, hold down [Ctrl]/[Command] and click the pan control.
• To edit the value numerically, double-click the pan control. The Stereo Balance Panner
The Stereo Balance Panner allows you to control the balance between the left and right channels. It is activated by default.
The Stereo Combined Panner
With the Stereo Combined Panner, the left and right pan controls are linked and keep their relative distance if you move them. It is available for channels with a stereo input and output configuration. To activate this panner, open the context menu for a pan control and select “Stereo Combined Panner”.
• To set the pan independently for the left and right channels, hold down [Alt]/[Option] and drag left or right.
• To reverse the left and right channels, pan the left channel to the right and the right to the left.
The area between the pan controls changes the color to indicate that the channels are reversed.
• To sum two channels, set them to the same pan position (mono). Note that this increases the volume of the signal.
 You can specify the default pan mode for new audio tracks in the Preferences dialog (VST page).

The MixConsole

Stereo Pan Law
In the Project Setup dialog, in the “Stereo Pan Law” pop-up menu you can select one of several pan modes. These modes are required for power compensation. Without power compensation, the power of the sum of the left and right side is higher (louder) if a channel is panned center than if it is panned left or right.
To remedy this, the “Stereo Pan Law” setting allows you to attenuate signals panned center by -6, -4.5, or -3dB. Selecting the 0dB option turns off constant-power panning. Experiment with the modes to see which fits best. You can also select “Equal Power” on this pop-up menu, which means that the power of the signal remains the same regardless of the pan setting.
Panning Multi-Channel Audio (Cubase only)
Channels with a multi-channel output configuration feature a miniature SurroundPanner control. For further information on multi-channel audio and the SurroundPanner V5, see “Surround sound (Cubase only)” on page 266.
Panning Bypass
You can bypass the panning for all audio-related channels by clicking the On/Off button to the left.
You can also press [Ctrl]/[Command]-[Alt]/[Option]-[Shift] and click the pan control. When panning is bypassed for a channel, the following happens:

• Mono channels are panned center.
  • Stereo channels are panned hard left and right.
  • Cubase only: Surround channels are panned center.
    To deactivate panning bypass, simply press [Ctrl]/[Command]-[Shift]-[Alt]/[Option]- [Shift] and click again.
    Panning MIDI Channels
    For MIDI channels, the pan control sends out MIDI pan messages. The result depends on how your MIDI instrument is set to respond to pan – check your documentation for details.
    _

Good Luck
    {‘-’}

Hi curteye,
i read that in the manual but when i hear the examples i mentioned it sounds differwnt in terms of volume,
should’nt it be same as i 'm givin 100% feed in both channels as i pan hard L or R so C-- C also gives 100% feed in both channels

Perhaps there is away to turn off Pan Law.

There is.

Menu—>Project—>Project Setup—>Stereo Pan Law

Check the setting and if it is set at something other than ‘0’, (mine is at -3)
try setting it to ‘0’ and see if it makes a diff to your ears.

If fact, try a bunch of different settings and see if one of them sounds better for your work.

Good Luck!
{‘-’}