"Panning" 4.0 or 5.0 to 5.1

When sending anything other than a Mono or Stereo Track to a 5.1 (or, for that matter 4.0 or 5.0) Group or Master there is no ability to use the SurroundPanner V5.

In just about any case - except 5.1 to 5.1 - you get Mix Convert . . (useless)
With 5.1 to 5.1 you get . . nothing! An empty box.

What’s up?

The manual says:

The plug-in supports mapping of mono or stereo inputs to any surround configuration, as well as setups where the input and output channels have the same configuration.

OK. So this could mean ONLY Mono or Stereo channels . . but then why say “as well as where they match”?
Mono to Mono? Stereo to Stereo? Don’t need a Surround Panner there.
AND the SurroundPanner V5 has features that have NO use in Mono or Stereo to 5.1 (like Depth Scaling).

So am I doing something wrong?
Or is this just a feature they left out of Cubase?

Nuendo?

I appreciate any insight here.

Hugh

I read the Nuendo manual and it, too, is unclear as to what channel formats (ie 4.0 to 5.1) SurroundPanner V5 works with.

Perhaps someone in the know will notice this and enlighten me.

There are many times when the ability to adjust the positioning of a More-Than-2.0 track into a 5.1 (or more) group or master would be needed.

Is this a Nuendo only function?

Hugh

Discovered another issue:

Now that I have my control room setup in a default 5.1 configuration -

I have found that any time a 5.1 bus is selected as the “default” output, the cue sends cannot be panned.

Cue output is stereo - doesn’t make any difference what the source channel configuration is or where it’s routed to.

Problem.

Anyone?
I think I’m just talking to myself on this thread . . .

Repro:
Create a 5.1 main out - no connections needed. Make it the default.
Chose any cue send on any channel and pan it.
Works?

Hugh