Paragraph Styles (save as default)

I saved some new paragraph styles as default in one project, and I needed to use them in a new project. They don’t appear, so I went back to the first project and tried again. I notice that the ‘save as default’ star goes black when I click on it, but goes empty as soon as I choose another style from the same menu. Does that mean that they’re not being saved, and what can I do to ensure that they are? And/or do I need actually to ‘import’ them into any new project, and, if so, how?
Apologies, by the way, for my slew of queries currently - I didn’t know how many are those things that I don’t know.

There’s a known glitch here. You need to turn some switches on and off, or change some value within the paragraph style in order that it displays an asterisk in the list on the left. The asterisk shows that Dorico recognises that some change has been made. Only once it appears will the Star button work correctly.

1 Like

Wow, thanks! That’s extremely helpful.

Unfortunately, this does not seem to work for me (Dorico Pro 3.5.11.1054).

I open the Paragraph Styles menu, select my style, change something and change it back so that the asterisk appears, press the star, and click OK. I then shut down Dorico completely and run it again. I create a new project. My style is not present in the Engrave → Paragraph Styles list. Can you give me a hint as to what I’m doing wrong?

One thing might be to try updating to 3.5.12 and check whether you still encounter the issue then - you can download the update here.

I will do that, thanks. (I’m generally trying to avoid updating software that works fine :-))

Incidentally: my AppData/Roaming/Steinberg/Dorico 3.5 does not contain any uselibrary.xml file.

Unfortunately, the situation is even worse after the update: now, if I go to Engrave → Paragraph Styles, choose my style, and switch something, the asterisk appears as expected. However, when I switch that thing back, the asterisk disappears. This is of course logical, since no change has actually been made. However, if the ‘save as default’ button is suppose to operate only when the asterisk is visible, this makes its usage impossible in my case.

I still, of course, pressed the star button, clicked OK, shut down Dorico completely and restarted it. Still nothing: in new projects I don’t have my style on the list. [And my AppData/Roaming/Steinberg/Dorico 3.5 still does not contain any uselibrary.xml file.]

Perhaps you could attach the project containing the style you want to save, and your userlibrary.xml file from your user application data folder, and let me know the name of the style you’re trying to save, and I’ll take a look to see what’s going on.

Thank you, Daniel. The attached file contains the project. I’d like to export ‘Leszek’s Editorial Marks’, ‘Leszek’s Solo/Tutti’, and ‘Leszek’s instrument names’. They’re extremely basic; I just want to be sure I know how to use the ‘save as default’ functionality…

I’m not attaching any userlibrary.xml file since none exists on my machine. (I’m using Windows 10; AppData/Roaming/Steinberg/Dorico 3.5 does not contain this file.)
Breunich_Scapulis_02.dorico (668.3 KB)

Thank you very much in advance!

Here’s a userlibrary.xml file with your three paragraph styles included. Put it into the Dorico 3.5 folder in your application data folder, then restart Dorico.

userlibrary.xml.zip (1.6 KB)

Thank you very much! They’re indeed now in the Paragraph Styles list.

All the best!