Parallel 5ths and 8ths

Is the a way to detect parallel 5ths and 8ths in Dorico. That’d be great!
Thanks in advance.

Yours, Oliver.

3 Likes

No.

Sorry!

Maybe someday…?

As we build out the scripting API in the future, I’m sure this is the kind of thing that some enterprising script developer could build.

4 Likes

And a “plug-in” it should be.

3 Likes

I agree — this is the sort of feature I was glad to lose when I switched away from Finale. It really showed how much Finale suffered from “feature-bloat.”

Totally agree. I for one would never want such a feature (though I don’t say it’s worthless, just not something I want). It’s impossible for a program to be all things to all people, and I’m glad Dorico won’t try do so.

I do look forward to the possibilities opened up by scripting.

3 Likes

I was very surprised Dorico didn’t have this feature. I guess I’ll have to keep using MuseScore for this, but that’s a pain…

Welcome.

My opinion FWIW is that if you are worried about parallel 5ths/8ths then you are probably studying strict counterpoint, in which case it is your task to spot them!

15 Likes

True, but sometimes the slip by, especially when voices aren’t adjacent.

I don’t see anywhere in this thread a request to find hidden parallels, but there were my response would be the same. If they slip by that is still user error.

Yes, great master.

This was acknowledged.

But there’s no reason for a tool not to be implemented just because you, in all your counterpoint perfection, wouldn’t use it.

7 Likes

It’s not up to my perfection. Never Bach down.

Any timeline on scripting?

No, I’m afraid there’s no update on when we’re likely to have a full API for scripting implemented in Dorico.

Ideally, this feature would find parallels and then fix them. :grinning:

1 Like

Please NO, I would not like to have the software to “correct” my notes!
Even Bach himself wrote 5 parallels…
As @Janus wrote it is OUR error!

6 Likes

Exactly — I sometimes despair when I see threads like this. If you don’t like parallel 5th and 8th don’t use them. There are certainly situations where they actually make musical sense…

6 Likes

It was a joke. That’s why I put the smiley face.

Brahms put together a collection of various parallel fifths and octaves and other such by many famous composers with comments like “good fifths”, “bad fifths”, “piano writing” etc., the point being that every case has to be judged on its own merits, something that even Dorico can’t do. This collection was one of the few things that he didn’t want destroyed at the end of his life, and it was later published with commentary by Heinrich Schenker.

5 Likes

yes, I realised your own post was probably just a joke and that the Brahms reference is very appropriate. But there are those who take take such things seriously.

Sorry, I did not realize that, there is so much ado about AI at the moment, that I feared that there was a serious request to incorporate such things…
I do not want a composing application, but a beautiful (and practical) layout application!

Hear, hear!