Partly solved: Cubase Pro 9/UAD-2: Render in place problem. Please advice.

I am working on my first first mix since moving over from Steinberg MR816 CSX to Apollo Twin MkII Duo and as expected I have ran out of DSP power and need to print a couple of plugins to free up DSP capacity again.

But when I am using “Cubase Render in place” I get the following message and the printed version of the channel doesn’t sound like the real time version of the channel. (It’s a kick drum):

UAD Powered Plug-Ins Info

One or more UAD-plug-ins have been disabled

The plug-in was unable to load because the DSP load limit was exceeded.

I am attaching a screen dump of the error message below:

UAD2 problem.png
The DSP meter is on 99%. Do I need to have as much DSP power free as the channel I want to print uses? Or is there another way for me to be able to print this channel to be able to move on and print more channels to be able to continue with the mix.

Yes, I will get an Apollo 8 later to get more DSP power (and Unison inputs), but I would prefer to do that in six months or so.

Thanks in advance!

Not from experience but from logical thinking, try to disable a few of the other UAD plugins on other tracks and then render in place.

Well, I will try that next time I am in the studio, which hopefully will be tomorrow. But I would like to know how it works and why this happens and how to avoid it in the future. If I need to spare some DSP power I need to know how much I need to “Render in place”. I only have two DSP cores and I will have to “Render in place” on every track I ever mix at least until I add an Apollo 8P.

Is your dsp load limit for UAD set to 100%?

And are you realtime rendering?

Yes

Sorry, I don’t know what that means, but what I did was to select them kick’s track and then I selected Render in place from the menu.

I partly solved the problem by disabling some plug-ins on the guitar channels temporarily to reduce the DSP load to less than 90% and then it worked, but I still don’t know how much DSP power I need to spare in the future to prevent this. I will try not go above 90% and see if that will give me enough DSP headroom.

I may be misunderstanding you, but there are two different things here. Render in place as a Cubase process to commit something to hard disk, so that you no longer need the CPU power of your computer to keep doing the effects processing of your plugins while you replay the track. And separately, how you use the DSP power of the Apollo units. The Apollo gives you the option of committing its own DSP effects to hard disk when you record, which means one you’ve recorded your dsp-heavy amp simulator or limiter or Neve desk or whatever, you don’t have to keep using the onboard DSP to keep providing the plugin power when you replay the track, cause they’ve already recorded the track. Both processes seek to achieve the same thing - the reduction in CPU/DSP load - but the Apollo way of live recording effects or simulations to hard disk means you keep the Apollo DSP processors free to make more effects/simulations on your other tracks. Like the DAW render in place, it just means you don’t have the option of going right back to the original track and trying different combinations of signal processing after the track is committed to HD.

Steve.

I will try to explain better.

My native plug-ins run on my Mac’s CPU and my UAD-2 plug-ins run on my Apollo’s DSP. In Cubase’s GUI they are treated the same way regardless if they are native of UAD-2s.

When I use Cubase’s “Render in place”. I can chose four levels of rendering, depending on how much of the channel’s setting I want to print.

If I chose the second alternative, then Cubase will off-line record all plugins to a new audio file and create an new audio track next to the one I am rendering. It will also mute the old track.

The new track will now have all the channel settings including plug-ins printed and should sound exactly like the channel I just rendered/printed.

I can now disable all the plug-ins on the “old” channel to free upp DSP power if I have used UAD plug-ins or CPU power if I have used native plugins. Since I use very little native plug-ins I do this to free up som UAD DSP power from the drum tracks to use on guitars, synths and vocals. Although I suspect that I might need to print/render the guitar tracks and synth track laser to free up UAD DSP power for the vocals.

If later need to go back change something on for example the kick drum track, then I just mute the printed kick track and unmute the original kick drum track, activate the plug-ins again and then I can edit what ever want to edit in the kick drum track.

So you can actually go back after you have used render in place. It’s a brilliant feature which makes our Apollo Twins so much more powerful and useful.

But you are absolutely right about the choice one have when recording to either record with the plugins activated or to just have them in the monitor system and keep the recording clean and then add the plug-in during mix down.

Personally I prefer to record drums and guitar with eq. Other instruments and vocal I generally prefer to just record clean and then have all options open during the mixing process.

Hi, I just posted a new thread hoping to gain insight. I’m using the same method of bouncing to free up UAD resources in Cubase 10. Is there any way to achieve this with the rendered file being STEREO. I haven’t found one, and it’s not ideal to have all drum tracks bounced as stereo files, the panning sounds odd.

anyway, thought you might know. sorry to hijack.
Thx!
PM

Hi,

I am not sure that I understand your problem. If you have mono recorded snare drum, you will render this to a mono track. If you have a stereo tom mix, you will render this to a stereo mix. Panning in the pre mixed stereo (e.g. tom mix or OH mix) file will not be affected by the rendering process.

Can you please explain in more detail what you are trying to do and what goes wrong in the process?