- Create new project or use an old one
- Add a Group track (let it be the first track on the project, on top)
- Add any VST plugin as an Inserts effect on the Group track.
- Automate any parameters in the VST plugin using Write (or put in automation by hand).
- Right-click Show all automation on the Group track.
- Select/Mark the automation data (or part of) and select Copy (you want to copy and paste the automation data somewhere else on that track). Copy via CTRL+C or Copy via Edit menu.
- Paste the automation data somewhere else in the project (still on the same Group track) using CTRL+V or Paste in the Edit menu.
RESULT: The automation from the VST plugin automation lane is now copied onto the Cubase own volume (!) automation lane/track instead of the same/correct parameter lane that automates the VST plugin!
(Windows 10 version 2004, Cubase 11.0)
EDIT: I managed to find out when this happens. It happens ONLY when you have the Group track as the first track in the project (on top)! If you move any other track as the first track, the copy/paste scenario begins to work again. STRANGE bug indeed.