Pasting from two string staves to organ

Hello,

maybe I found something which might be classified as a bug.

I marked two adjacent string staves and alt-click-copied them into Organ 1 (3 manuals). The music ended up in top staff of Organ 1 and top staff of Organ 2 (2 manuals).

A bit unexpected. Can you reproduce?

Thanks,
LAE.

This is to be expected, because copying and pasting in Dorico works on instruments rather than staves.

OK, I see the logic, but I don’t see the use of it. I can see many cases where I would like to paste two staves from two instruments into the right and left hand staves of the keyboard instrument, but when would I want to paste like in the example?

You can paste into the left-hand of the piano if you select music from a single source staff/instrument and paste directly into the left-hand staff.

Yes, of course. Not a big deal. I just fail to see why this behaviour is desirable.

Because of all the other advantages this basic approach allows?

Well, I am being a bit dense. Please enlighten me :slight_smile:

Dear Lae,

What you actually would want to do is like a “reduction” for keyboard. This is something Dorico will probably allow us to do — if I read well.
Copying from x different instruments is only possible to x different instruments.
Imagine if it were not like that. You copy music from the two staves of the piano. Then you select one point in one piano staff. Both staves are being copied perfectly on both staves, not everything on the staff you selected. I personally find this very logical and convenient.
No doubt this kind of “problem” will no longer exist, once we can copy to a specific voice, “reduce” music from x instruments to a piano, and so on… We have to be patient :wink:

Sorry, I missed your reply Marc.

You copy music from the two staves of the piano. Then you select one point in one piano staff. Both staves are being copied perfectly on both staves, not everything on the staff you selected. I personally find this very logical and convenient.

I don’t really follow your explanation I am afraid, would you care to elaborate?

However (@Derrek), I do understand the general advantages of the approach of instruments rather than staves. I just don’t see, as I said earlier in the thread, the use of the resulting behaviour in this particular case.

Anyway. Not a big deal.