Patch scripts for Roland JV Expansion Cards?

Anyone know where I can find some patch scripts for Roland JV Expansion Cards? I’m new to Cubase and I found the built in scripts for my JV-1080 buy not for my expansion cards.

Thanks.

what format are you looking for ? and what cards ?

I have as XML files ;
world
asia
techno
dance
vocals
orchestral
hiphop
sfx

Hi G-string. Thanks for responding.

I have a JV-1080 with the Session, Orchestral II, Vintage Synths, & Keyboards of the 60’s and 70’s. So I guess you can’t help. What exactly do you mean by the format?

well the files come in 2 formats , either xml which you can import via the device manager or txt. files which you place in the inactive folder if your on PC

there is a long winded way around this and this is how I name my presets and that is to import the blank xml’s and rename every preset by hand and save , this is how I managed to collect mind over the years , painful but worth it :wink:

Yep, since the demise of the Studio Module (VST5) which used to read the program names directly from the synth I’ve been doing it by hand using either the .txt format or directly in the Midi Manager. I don’t have any of the cards you mention.

Have you searched www.kvraudio.com, it’s a good resource for these and many other things.

Also there’s www.squest.com who sell a midi program library system which backs up synth programs but and can create patch script files too.

Mike.

P.S. I’ve PM’d you an app for the JV2080 which I used to extract the names a long while back. Maybe it’ll work for the JV1080 too? Or perhaps you could search for the author who’s name is in the app when it’s running. He used to be in the old forum, and he gave the me app - I hope he doesn’t mind that I’m passing it on.

Mike.

Yes I use midiquest 10xl but it’s not the cheapest way around things

I have MIDI Quest 8 but it won’t work in 64bit Windows. Do you need the XL version to do this or will the standard version work?

For 4 expansion cards that sure would be a lot of work!

the 10 version will still do ,the only difference really between the 10 and 10xl is the vst plugins for your instrument , don’t worry about the 64 bit version , 10 runs fine on my 64 bit and it is properly supported by SoundQuest , I had a long conversation with micheal lambie about it . :wink:

Hi VintageVibe

Let’s start with a script addition for the Session board, which I presume is in SLOT A
[the program change calls are based on the slot position of the card, so this script
relates the Session board to Slot A]
PS You can check which board is in which slot by pressing SHIFT+INFO and scroll to EXP1/EXP2
Because your sequence was Session/Orch II/Vintage/Kbds of 60s & 70s, I presume they relate
to Slot A/B/C/D

The script for the presets in the 1080 should finish with these two lines
[p3, 126, 81, 3] 127 Applause
[end]

All scripts end with [end] (!)
The previous line is the last line in the GM bank of the JV1080.

Open your 1080 script in a text editor
Please insert the accompanying script between the second last and the last [end] line.
No blank lines allowed!!

Save the resulting file…same name as was before.

Open Cubase and check in the inspector that this is working correctly for the Session board.

If so, I’ll do the other three script additions for you…
EXP 09 SESSION CARD IN SLOT A.txt (8.61 KB)

Hey andyoc It worked! I can’t thank you enough. There were couple of things different but I figured them out. All the lines had a space between so I guess they’ve changed the scripts. The performances and drums were actually last but I found the patch section.

The Session board was indeed in slot A but the others are different:

A: Session
B: Keyboards of the 60’s and 70’s
C: Vintage Synths
D: Orchestral II

Are you using MIDI Quest to do these? Anyway many many thanks!!!

Hi vintagevibe

Yeah, I’m working in the blind a bit here, as I have removed the 1080 from my rack, so couldn’t check the file out…

Also, I haven’t been across these files in a few years, so I had forgotten about the Performance/Rhythm sections of the script…
As I didn’t use those calls - just the patch ones - I deleted those sections from the text file… No big deal, you can leave those parts of the script there - it just means you will have more sections in the dropdown…

Obviously, you’ve found the place for the expansion card text file to be added…
Yesterday’s Session card section finishes at
[p3, 126, 84, 1] 255 DEMO Crowd
Find this, and insert the attached text file on the next line…you should be sorted…
JV1080 EXPANSION SLOTS B_C_D.txt (21.5 KB)

By way of explanation:

There are two banks of 128 patches on each of the Session/60s and 70s/Orch II boards, and one bank of 128 on the Vintage board
The 1080 calls these programs up by sending a combination of Bank select [using MSB/LSB] and Program change messages

Attached is the table for the 1080 from the manual

The script associates a Bank Select/Prog change with each of the patches on the boards

Slot A patches [001~128] are called by sending Bank Chng MSB 84 LSB 000 // then Prog chng 001 ~ 128
Slot A patches [129~256] are called by sending Bank Chng MSB 84 LSB 001 // then Prog chng 001 ~ 128
Slot B patches [001~128] are called by sending Bank Chng MSB 84 LSB 002 // then Prog chng 001 ~ 128
Slot B patches [001~128] are called by sending Bank Chng MSB 84 LSB 003 // then Prog chng 001 ~ 128

etc.

You then have to relate these changes to the relevant expansion card patches
I do this in Excel…download the expansion card patch list, and match it up to the relevant Bank/Prog message!!!

I hope all is working ok for you now…as I say, I’m doing this on the blind, so there is always the possibility of a mistake…
If so, let me know, and I’ll try and sort it!

Best regards
Andy O’Callaghan

It’s all working great now. Thanks so much! My 1080 is the last hardware synth I have left and although I don’t use it much it’s still a keeper. One thing it’s great for is making backing tracks for my live gig since it has some really nice samples that are not stereo and don’t have any problems folding into mono. I use JV pianos all the time for that plus the organs and pads are really fat.

One more question if you don’t mind. It seem that the .txt files are stored in a different place after I import them. (changes I make from inside Cubase aren’t reflected in the original file. Do you know where these are stored?

Thanks!

Glad it’s all sorted. Just wanted to say that I miss using my JV2080 because of that fatness of the sounds! Haven’t found anything with quite the same character yet… Maybe Roland are listening and they’ll bring back some of that magic. I still use most of my old hardware synths each for it’s own character, but it’s hard not to just fire up a softsynth with instant recall, easy twiddlability and themselves, great sounds!

Mike.

Hi vintagevibe

Are you on PC or MAC? [P.S. you should attach a signature with your specs to your mails…
Goto My Steinberg/Support/Forum…and add your specs in the Signature block…]

For windows, your active scripts are stored in
bootdrive[probably C:]/users//Appdata/Roaming/Steinberg/Cubase7[orCubase7_64 if you are!]/Scripts/Patchnames
For mac they are at :
Library/Preferences/Cubase7

You should copy your new script to that folder…
To confirm its availability either

1]
set up a 1080 track in Cubase, and check the inspector to see if the new exp cards are there OR

2]
Within Cubase, the name of the “device” corresponds to the [device name] entry on line 7 in the script…
you can change this name to reflect its contents - eg, “JV1080 +4 EXP”… just edit that line and save the file - it’s much easier to identify that the correct script is loaded when the name is more specific…

Start Cubase - Cubase won’t see new edits until after the files have been saved in the correct location and CB is restarted!
Open Devices/Midi Device Manager…if the 1080 appears in the “installed devices” column on the left, select it and click the “Open Device” button. If it’s not there, click on “Install Device” and there should be an entry for the 1080 device in the dropdown…add it to the installed devices and proceed as before.
When the relevant script is selected in the installed devices, click on “Open Device”, type in a name if required. When the Editor opens, click on the “Device” dropdown, and select patch banks. Left-hand display changes to “Patches/Performances/Rhythm” [these entries reflect the modes you have included in the script] Expand on patches, you should see your 4 EXP slot sections …

You can expand each slot and each element [1~32,33~64 etc], and click on any entry to see it’s relevant Bank Select/Prog chng info

Method 2 takes a lot longer, but it shows you some more of the internal workings of the patch script module

Cheers
Andy

Actually they have brought back the magic. Have you seen the Integra 7? It has every expansion card they have ever made plus all the modern Super Natural stuff. (RMCAudioDirect.com has it for under $1500.)
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Integra7?utm_source=MSN&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=keyboards&utm_term=roland_integra_7

Ah yes thanks for pointing that out, I did see it just recently, I’ll have to go and play with it - perhaps this one does sound the same?? You got me thinking…

I have a Fantom which has some of the same samples in it but it just doesn’t sound the same. It’s not the samples its the different electronics and different software operation/effects that make the JV in some circumstances a better sound for me. But it’s an interesting subject because I have the Korg software emulations and their M1 is modelled to include the output electronics as well. That must be for good reason, I really think it does a good job of sounding like the real thing!

Mike.

*I have a few there from different places… Mostly JV-2080 & XV-5080 because those are the 2 I have…I may have some 1080’s in there though… :nerd: