I’m a happy owner of RME Fireface 800 for half a year and it’s really wonderful card for any purpose. I tried to use it to record drums on notebook (5400 RPM) and it was correct as I can see.
So I want to record some live shows and I think it will be OK using 1 FF 800 and my note with firewire400 (4pin). But in case of my note’s been used on stage during the show that becomes impossible.
So I want to build a PC for recording which will be placed near mixer and FF800. Fifreface will take analog inputs from Direct Outputs of a mixer and then I need to translate it to PC. I hope to buy another FF800 and then use them together for 20 channels of recording. Unfortunately, I don’t have another note with firewire port and usb-firewire connectors are of no use as I think (correct me if I’m wrong). Here is my problem.
I think of small PC, based on mini-ITX or microATX motherboard with Intel CPU (with integrated video, IvyBridge). I also want to use 7200 RPM HDDs better in 3,5" but 2,5" is acceptable as I think. But how small can it be? I want to use 1U server chassis like supermicro CSE-503L-200B. But it’s restricted in cooling. I will use Win7 x64, Cubase, Intel CPU (think of i3 Ivy Bridge) and i have FW800 pci-e controller on LSI made by startek which currently works correct with my Fireface 800.
So my questions to Steinberg support are:
- What CPU is required to work with Cubase (maybe 6) for only recording 20 analog channels to HDD(s) - Is Intel Atom sufficient? (No editing, no VST, no video etc.)
- Do I really need RAID1 (Stripe) from HDDs not to have lags because of hard disk subsystem for 20 ch recording?
- Will recording 20 channels use CPU much? - that’s because of CPU temperature
- Will Intel Ivy bridge integrated video be sufficient to display cubase and hold recording process or i need a videocard?
- Will such system each much AC power - will be 200 Watts sufficient? (no other activity - only recording and contorlling the process on display, keyboard and mouse) - may be a difficult question but it’s just of a cubase’s share in power consumption as I think.
P.S. I will write the same post on RME support forum. As I think the sound card is of less importance in this question.