PC for REC 20 channels

Hello Guys!
I’m a happy owner of RME Fireface 800 for half a year and it’s really wonderful card for any purpose. I tried to use it to record drums on notebook (5400 RPM) and it was correct as I can see.
So I want to record some live shows and I think it will be OK using 1 FF 800 and my note with firewire400 (4pin). But in case of my note’s been used on stage during the show that becomes impossible.
So I want to build a PC for recording which will be placed near mixer and FF800. Fifreface will take analog inputs from Direct Outputs of a mixer and then I need to translate it to PC. I hope to buy another FF800 and then use them together for 20 channels of recording. Unfortunately, I don’t have another note with firewire port and usb-firewire connectors are of no use as I think (correct me if I’m wrong). Here is my problem.
I think of small PC, based on mini-ITX or microATX motherboard with Intel CPU (with integrated video, IvyBridge). I also want to use 7200 RPM HDDs better in 3,5" but 2,5" is acceptable as I think. But how small can it be? I want to use 1U server chassis like supermicro CSE-503L-200B. But it’s restricted in cooling. I will use Win7 x64, Cubase, Intel CPU (think of i3 Ivy Bridge) and i have FW800 pci-e controller on LSI made by startek which currently works correct with my Fireface 800.
So my questions to Steinberg support are:

1. What CPU is required to work with Cubase (maybe 6) for only recording 20 analog channels to HDD(s) - Is Intel Atom sufficient? (No editing, no VST, no video etc.)
  2. Do I really need RAID1 (Stripe) from HDDs not to have lags because of hard disk subsystem for 20 ch recording?
  3. Will recording 20 channels use CPU much? - that’s because of CPU temperature
  4. Will Intel Ivy bridge integrated video be sufficient to display cubase and hold recording process or i need a videocard?
  5. Will such system each much AC power - will be 200 Watts sufficient? (no other activity - only recording and contorlling the process on display, keyboard and mouse) - may be a difficult question but it’s just of a cubase’s share in power consumption as I think.
    P.S. I will write the same post on RME support forum. As I think the sound card is of less importance in this question.

For basic recording it definitely is.

First of all. RAID1 is not stripe. RAID 1 is mirrored drive. RAID0 is stripe one. 20 channels of 96k/24b audio is approx 55MB/sec. Any modern hard disk should be able to do at least 10 times that figure. No need for striped drives. For mobile recording I would recommend SSD drives, though. They are far more shock-resistant than HDDs. Your recordings consume approx 20GB/hour (at 96/24), so you don’t need that much drive space.

No. Recording uses CPU relatively little. It’s processing that uses CPU.

I can’t see why not. Cubase is not graphics-intensive application.

Not remembering the power specs of your CPU (and different drives), but I would say: should be, but don’t count on it. Better to have too heavy power supply than too light one.

Sound card is FAR more important than the PC performance here. Reliable audio interface is the key point in live recording.

To give you an Idea on stuff, I still have an old PIV 3.2 gig with all of 1.5 gigs of RAM running XP pro (apart from my I7 system), with a couple of raptor 10000 rpm drives and that is very comfortable recording 24 tracks at the same time and it would be fine with an older (pre SATA) 7000rpm as well.

My old Laptop with 5400 rpm HDD, 1,4 GHz Intel centrino 1024 MB RAM had no problems recording 12 hour festivals with 24 tracks and Digicheck global record / Cubase SX3.
Personal opinion:
Instead of buying a second FF 800 and a 2nd computer, buy a FF UFX. And use DURec. Depends on your exact requirements though…

How will a dual core PC perform the 22 tracks , costs a little higher than the Atom ???

Depends on what you want to do with those 22 tracks:
Simple recording and/or playback: Not a slightest problem.
Playback/mixing with some plugins: Should be fine.
Playback/mixing with lots of highest-quality plugins on every track: You’re busted.

And of course the exact numbers depends on: Which dual core processor you have? Are you recording in 44.1kHz or 192kHz? What are the plugins used? … etc … etc … So many variables there.

Depends on what you want to do with those 22 tracks:
Simple recording and/or playback: Not a slightest problem.
Playback/mixing with some plugins: Should be fine.
Playback/mixing with lots of highest-quality plugins on every track: You’re busted.

And of course the exact numbers depends on: Which dual core processor you have? Are you recording in 44.1kHz or 192kHz? What are the plugins used? … etc … etc … So many variables there.
Thanks Jarno , i thought so … Busted …
How about Dual core , with seperate 7200 Sata II hard drives X 3 nos , 1 for OS 1 for Vsti / and 1 for Audio Rendering …
??? also which are the highest quality Plug ins??? u didnt mention Vsti/s ??? audio @ 24 bit /96 hz …
Lastly , I have a Tascam US 428 , which i used in Win Xp more as a surface control , was excellent @ that , now they refuse to make win 7 x 64 drivers , works with Vista compatible drvs , but with blue issues , i see that C 6 has has that model in midi devices , will that mean i can use it after all ??? is that like a driver ??

No , u cant use it , right click in administer mode , it works some times , but mostly with the Death Blue screen , i had one ,. Tascam refused to make a driver 4 it , i really liked it as a surface controller , but Tascam sucks with after sales support … they just wanna sell… i sold mine 4 peanuts , n i never go the tascam path again … in fact u guys should compile n screen on line the companies like this , make u buy expensive gear with no future support … will help us all . best ws sm