Percussion dynamics playback

For expression maps, we can specify MIDI controllers (CCs) for primary and secondary dynamics. This works great for my Spitfire library of samples.

Percussion maps don’t offer this same functionality, so how does MIDI control over dynamics work for percussion mapped instruments? Although my Spitfire samples’ channels are set to use controller 11 for expression and controller 1 for dynamics by default, all of my percussion samples play at whatever volume and dynamics level they’re set to in the VST plug-in.

Apparently, Dorico isn’t (successfully?) modifying the values during playback. For non-percussion-mapped instruments, I can watch the expression and dynamics levels jump all over the place in the VST plug-in interface during playback. For percussion-mapped instruments, they don’t vary at all.

Are you applying the dynamic controls separately to each of the instruments (as if they were split onto separate one-line staves)?
IIRC Applying a dynamic to a five-line percussion staff does not affect the individual instruments.

It’s not currently possible to control the dynamics of percussion instruments in any way aside from note velocity. The code to play back percussion is (necessarily) very different to that of pitched instruments. So for instance, expression maps are not supported for percussion instruments. Similarly, how percussion instruments deal with playing techniques is very different. This is something that we hope to improve on in a future version.

Each instrument has its own single-line staff.

OK, thanks for the info.

Hey all, just wondering about the status on this. Are there any plans to improve dynamics playback for percussion-mapped instruments in the near future? (I’m seeing that this was asked about at least as far back as late 2019.)

Having to plot points manually on CC1 isn’t terribly cumbersome, since Dorico’s Play interface makes modifying CC1 pretty intuitive and easy, but it can be a drag if I’m messing around with percussion dynamics changes and I want to use playback to get a feel for what it might sound like. (Obviously, I never have to do this for non-percussion instruments; it just works.)

You might have some success if you additionally set an expression map in the Endpoint Setup dialog that defines CC1 as the volume type. It’s unsupported, really, but in many cases it does work, and we do plan to make this more robust in future.

1 Like

I’ve been combining expression and percussion maps for more than a year - I didn’t know at all that it wasn’t actually supported yet. But the expression maps have been really simple, velocity for natural and CC1 for tremolos/rolls.

Heh, Dr. Walmsley wrote (above) that expression maps aren’t supported for percussion instruments, so I didn’t bother trying.

Thanks, that did the trick.

On this subject, I noticed the the Bass Drum is way quieter than the other instruments. Is there a way to make it louder? I’ve already put its velocity to the maximum but it is still not much quieter than the others.
Additionally, the Thundersheet is not producing any sound, even though the note is appearing in Play Mode. Is there a way it can be heard in the playback?

So, I guess no solution for the quiet Bass Drum and for the Thundersheet not producing any sound?

You could change sound sets, but I admit that is not a convenient option.
You might also feed that channel through a Limiter in the Mixer and use it to boost the output some.

FWIW I’ve been using the [GM 131 Jazz Kit with no issues - at least none like that. . . :zipper_mouth_face:)

I see that the Harp is using a GM sound, but the Bass Drum is not. However, I am not sure how to change it. I clicked on the “Load Program” but nothing seemed to happen.

Hi Coe -

Maybe it’s just me but I find the Halion Sonic interface bizarrely confusing. There are times when I think I understand it, but then I get stuck and I can’t get to where I want to be.

Anyway, I’ve attached a screen shot which shows you where you need to be to change the sound of your instruments.

As to what steps I took to get to this screen? I wish I could tell you, but I don’t really know - I just fumble around and experiment until I get there. :confused:

You appear to have clicked the Edit Tab to see that screen.

If all I do is click the Edit Tab, this is what I see:

To see the full screen from above, you also have to click the Show / Hide Load Panel (F6) That allows you to switch sounds for an instrument.

1 Like

Thank you all. I got it. Just to clarify to those that may be reading this topic:

• Go to Play Mode
  • Click on the instrument you want to change
  • Click on Edit Instrument (first image)
  • Click on “Show/Hide Load Panel (F6)” (second image)
  • Click on a program, for example, on “All” (also second image)
  • The list of instruments will appear and you choose the one you want.

All that said, I wasn’t satisfied with [GM 131] Jazz Kit for the bass drum.
As could be expected, it sounds very much as a drums’ bass drum, not as an orchestral bass drum. But at least I learn how to change it and I can do some experiments now.

I’ve found a sound for the bass drum that is loud enough: SR Live Room Kit 1