Percussion Music?

Ok, for another upcoming project I will need to write for percussion. If you’ve written for percussion before you know that changing from one percussion instrument to another throughout the music is extremelly common. The way Dorico handles instrument changes mid music is interesting, but it can get messy when you are composing. Let me explain:
Lets suppose I have only one percussion player. The way Dorico handles instrument changes mid staff requires all instruments being used to be visible at once in galley view. The problem with this method is that it adds up.
Now let’s suppose I have a group of twelve percussionists I want to write for, and each of them is playing 2 different instruments throughout the music (which aren’t a lot of changes for a percussion ensemble). I will now have 24 staves displaying at once. Madness! What if there were more instrument changes? I would have a giant score on galley view full of unused instruments with no way to tell which instrument belongs to which players (in write mode).
Any workarounds for this? At all? Any ideas on how not to make a giant mess of a score (which only gets in the way of composing)? Ideally you’d want to see only twelve staves (one for each player), not all of the instruments at once.
I hope this made sense.

1 Like

If the instruments are non-pitched, consider Percussion Kits as well.

1 Like