perfect studio headphone for UR22MKII

Rubbish you say??

“{Sonarworks Ref 3 provides} Truly accurate monitoring, allowing you to be fully confident in your mixes. An absolute must have for the studio,” - Grammy-nominated, multi-platinum engineer Smith Carlson (OneRepublic, Taylor Swift, Beyoncé, Maroon 5).

“Bill Gould and I mixed the new Faith No More record, Sol Invictus, with the Sonarworks Studio Speaker Calibration software and are thrilled with the results. It’s the first time, in our 20 year history of working together, that we’re able to hear music so accurately. I’m finally able to hear things more clearly and no longer have to try and guess if my mixes will translate out into the ‘real world’,” - producer Matt Wallace

Not to be fecetious, but for comparisons sake, how many records have you sold xerix?

I would never use a closed headphone for mixing. Closed Heaphones are great for recording to avoid bleed, not really that good for mixing imho. Just doesn’t sound natural to me at all. For mixing / mastering I’d always prefer an open headphone. I’m using the AKG K712pro myself for the rare times I cannot use my monitors (or when I need to focus on details which - for me - sometimes is harder to do on my APS Klaisk, and I love them.

well guys, just got back from the shop.
have been there for 3 hours, with my own laptop, own studiomonitors, UR22MKII.

and did all the tests.
AKG K712Pro, beyerdynamic DT 770 250Ohm and 80Ohmn ATH-50

the 80 Ohm, the kick was to round if we compare to the studio monitors.
the 250 Ohm, the kick was even rounder and much more heavier.
ATH-50 was good, but I missed some sounds in the higher range.

the AKG K712Pro, was the best for sure in the lower freq like kick and for sure the middle and high is perfect.

So the AKG K712Pro is the winner for my ears…there will be equal headphones for sure, but indeed a halfopen is beter, since you don’t have the lower freq travel around inside… hugh different in the music style we make.

well I shared this with everybody and ofcourse I thank every contribution :slight_smile:

At least you’ve made your mind up.

Re the people who knock certain 'phones for acentuating bass and treble too much, as you age you lose the top end off your hearing, so what sounds right on my trebly headphones turns out to be just right! Similarly strong bass response makes bass issues easy to spot. So I know to mix slightly bass strong which again is spot on when played back on reference systems. I’d rather that than have heaps of undetected bass issues which I couldn’t hear in neutral 'phones.

Hi, yeah I know getting older does not always say we are not hearing good anymore :slight_smile:
with my 43 years I know what you mean.

for me, the sound of the AKG was the clossed to the monitors I have, so for me that’s the most important.
since now I know the sound of my monitors, so I know that when working with the AKG, I have simular output.

only I need to work a bit on cubase 9.0, since I have the impression if I set it all to max peak -3dB that the complete song is so silent…
maybe with mastering we get the complete curves back up…
for me to search for :slight_smile:

Yes matching your monitors is a bonus - not too much relearning to do.

Got some beyerdynamics dt 990 pro. Got them for 8 years now never broke best headphones i ever had.

I use an AKG K 701 with an UR22 mk2. At first i had the problem with low volume and distortion. Now I use the external (micro USB) input as a power source and al problems vanished. I use an iPad adapter by the way.

Healey, good to know, but help me out here, you wrote : I use the exterenal micro usb input as a power source???
do you mean you powered the UR22 with a 5V dc power adapter?
and is volume higher then?