Performance of 2 vs 3 and also different iPad models

I currently use iPad Pro 1st generation, using Cubasis 2. I create Trance, so lots of layers, massive reverbs/delays, EQ, etc. I also want to uses synths, not loops (Synthmaster/Sunrizer/Model 15 etc). My issue is that projects often max out Cubasis and I can’t continue with them. This is even with track Freezing.

I am looking at the iPad Pro (current generation). I can see the technical differences (A9x chip to A12x Bionic w/ Neural engine chip and M12 instead of M9 co-processor). That doesn’t specifically tell me what real life differences it will make to my use of Cubasis. Does anyone have experience of both, or know where there is a benchmark specifically in Cubasis? I guess what I am wanting to know is that the investment (significant!!) will achieve what I want?

And another question, is Cubasis 3 more or less efficient in terms of system resources? There are some really cool new features, but if I cant complete tracks, then they are irrelevant.

Final note; I want to keep as much as Midi as possible as I can then export the project to Cubase and then change synths/alter settings and FX etc. to finish off the tracks.

Any help would be massively appreciated. I love Cubase and have used it since Atari days. However, i have stopped using my Cubasis due to projects maxing out and I want to start again. New Year, new start and all that!

I’ve been reading all over the place about this subject, and everything I have found points to this: Multi-threaded DAWs are not currently possible on iOS. This means the only metric you need to look at for performance across various iOS devices is the single core performance. It means the extra cores provided by the “X” versions of the CPUs Apple puts in the iPad Pros will provide no additional benefit to audio workloads. You may as well just get the current iPad Air (however the Pro models also have more memory, especially the 1TB which has 6GB of RAM, not sure how much impact this has on Cubasis). Not to mention, I don’t believe plugins transfer from Cubasis to Cubase, only the audio and MIDI data. To work the way you’ve described, you should probably just stay on the desktop. I’m not sure how long it will be before iOS DAWs can be multi-threaded like desktop DAWs currently are, but the hardware has been there for quite a while, so…

Thanks for the response. It’s frustrating that a lot of the time it is users spending lots of their own time hunting around the internet trying to find snippets of advice and knowledge, when Steinberg know the answers and could reply with 100% accuracy!

Thanks again…

Hi EltonBoocock,

Thanks for your message and thanks to omniphonix for providing feedback about the topic.

Please note that our forums are user forums, which are generally not moderated. Nevertheless, we do our best to provide continuous feedback to our users here and in the Audiobus forum. We hope for your understanding that this can take some time here and then, especially due to the great amount of postings after just having released Cubasis 3.

Regarding your Cubasis to Cubase question:
We plan to publicly release the Cubasis 3 Importer Pre-Release shortly, which will allow to open Cubasis projects with Cubase.
Where possible, instruments and effects are loaded with their presets in Cubase, same as it was the case with the Cubasis 2 Importer.

Best wishes,
Lars

Thanks Lars,

Really appreciate your response.

What about the performance between the 2 versions and also, your experience of performance between A9 and A12x chip?