Petaluma in Master Page Editor

I’m loving the master page features, but I’ve always found it quite difficult to work with text in the master page editor when the music font is set to Petaluma.

1. It’s very difficult to see exactly where the cursor is, particularly when next to the “{” and “}” symbols in text tokens.
  2. Those curly brackets also cause the vertical line alignment to display inaccurately, making it impossible to see how the lines of text will fit in the text box without jumping in and out of the master page editor.
  3. I’ve found a small bug in the “|” (vertical bar) symbol: it shows up in Print mode out of the bounds of the text line.

Would very much appreciate some improvements to these issues.

1. I find it easier to just zoom in before editing the token
  2. Do you mean you just aren’t sure how large of a text box you’ll need when using a token, and so you jump in and out to check if it fits? I have huge text boxes for this reason Eg my composer text box would easily fit 4 lines of text in it and is aligned to the top-right of the box. I just need to move boxes from time to time.
  3. This doesn’t happen to me. Can you attach your project?
  1. Here I am zoomed in, and it’s still a bit hard to tell where the cursor is:
    Screen Shot 2022-12-09 at 4.35.49 PM

And it’s actually invisible when at the end of the line:
Screen Shot 2022-12-09 at 4.43.57 PM

1. I use extra tall text frames as well, but that calls for overlapping frames, which are tough to work with. It also doesn’t really solve the issue of understanding where visually the lines of text will actually line up. Here’s how the line height changes with and without curly brackets:

2. Definitely, see attached project in Print view for the pipe character bug:
    Petaluma bugs.dorico (760.7 KB)
    Screen Shot 2022-12-09 at 4.59.21 PM

3. I found another bug with Petaluma: vertically centered text isn’t quite centered.

All in all, I love the font, and would love to see these kinks worked out. Thanks!

Petaluma doesn’t actually have curly braces { } or a vertical bar |, so what you’re seeing is Apple Chancery as a fallback font. That explains the differences in line spacing and slant. Petaluma really was not designed to type code such as this token syntax. Since it’s open source, you could copy it and design your own missing glyphs.

To the Team: There are many cases like this where it would be very helpful if Dorico could have a way to define fallback fonts. Or at least one, in a Font Style definition, like the way CSS uses a list of fonts in order of priority.

For font styles (rather than paragraph styles) Dorico does have a means of doing this already.

I would certainly love to have such fallback on the iPad version, where I cannot have my favourite serif fonts. Dorico for iPad opens my fonts with a sans serif font where Academico would be so much more beautiful with my scores… Is there a way to have that ?

For font styles, yes, I believe so, but not for paragraph styles, as things stand.