Piano Fingering Lines etc.

Congratulations to the team on their latest release, which will probably bring many new users to Dorico.

In looking through the new documentation, it was not clear to me, however, that there has been any improvement in the program’s ability to deal with more complex piano fingering, such as stacks of alternative fingerings separated by lines. I also see no attempt to deal yet with drawing lines or other graphic objects. Am I mistaken? If not, is this something on the immediate horizon?

There’s a lot that can be done with lines connected to Playing Techniques, and bearing in mind that Playing Techniques could already be custom glyphs/graphics/text, there’s the start of something there. It’s worth investigating, though it won’t necessarily be as fully-fledged as you’re hoping for.

Thanks, pianoleo. My main problem is in stacking alternate finger numbers for single notes by means of Dorico’s fingering capability. Workarounds for the lines were possible in earlier versions. But I have mentioned this several times previously. It sounds like I am going to have to wait for later versions of Dorico before I can switch over, unfortunately. This one is the proverbial deal-breaker for me.

We have made a number of improvements to fingering for keyboard instruments, including for cross-staff beaming and for allowing keyboard fingering to be positioned inside the staff by default. But no, we have not tackled your specific deal-breaking case of stacking up multiple sets of fingerings outside the staff separated by an angled line in this release.

I’m thrilled about this. :smiley: