Piano Pedal - Simile

Hi,

I’m sorry if this has been brought up before but I couldn’t find a post on it.

Is there an option to add a Simile marking on the score for pedaling? (So that you don’t have to put pedal markings for the whole score)
(If there is one, where can I find it?)

Thanks!
~ Nina

I would like to know this as well, I used the text tool for this, but maybe there is a better way?

I’m not sure if this is what you’re looking for, but you can change the text of the pedal sign from Ped to simile in the following way: select the pedal sign, open the Properties Panel (Ctrl/Cmd+8), activate Sign appearance and change it to Ped. Text, and then activate Text and enter simile.

Regards,

Stefaan

Will this duplicate the pedaling behavior of the previous bar to the next (and consecutive) bars?

No, it won’t duplicate anything. It will just hide the pedal line.

You can create a blank ped. line (to use/copy/paste after the “simile” Ped. line) by taking the same steps but instead of writing “simile”, just put a space. Of course, you’d need to adjust it’s length depending on where you want to sustain notes in various bars. I’d rather just learn a new instrument.

I hope this answers the question…

Much easier is to select a range of pedal marks (where you want sim. to begin), and hide them all:

2 Likes

Thank you. Yes, I was able to use the “hook” preference to resolve the issue.