Piano roll note lengths ignore all physics

Ever since I started using Cubase 12 I stumbled upon the weirdest and most un logical things I have ever witnessed in all music programs I ever had my hands on. To name one: In piano roll when you click a note on a quanatize of 1/1 it SHOULD fill the whole note lengt of 1/1. But it doesn’t! it’s 1/16. Who in his “right” mind thought of implementing this useless idea in the new Cubase’s? I upgraded to Cubase 13 in the hope it would be resolved, but of course it isn’t, and it seems to be a new normal to ignore the quantize and just fill the effing notes to what I am trying to achieve. It’s always just a small block in the big world of piano roll.

Now I don’t care that it’s a setting or whatever you want to call it, it should never be on unless I make it so. I never did. So what is going on here?

In Cubase, note position and note length have separate quantize values.
Perhaps this will be helpful:

No it doesn’t, thanks for the quick reply tho. The fixed note length is for after you click some notes. I want the notes to be the length that the quantize already shows. If I have my quantize on 1/8, the block should be 1/8 and not 1/16 or 1/32. Even Cubase 3 and 5 had that right. It’s like they downgraded the program. That is a bit silly, and I hope I am wrong.

Plus there is the fact that Fix Note Length only makes all notes 1/32 XD I am a bit disappointed in that to be fare.

It works as expected here. I have my Length Quantize set to “Quantize Link”. If I set the Quantize Preset to 1/1, drawn notes are indeed one measure in length. I’m assuming you’re talking about drawing notes with the pen tool?

Yes, when I’m drawing a drum beat or just want to make things in piano roll manually, it’s always like what I said. The length is always 1/32 (not 1/16 like I said). It’s frustrating. I can’t recall to have this problem in Cubase 10 so probably not, but I’m sure as can be that it was never an issue in Cubase 3 and 5. This is the first time I notice, since I always play the piano and get the chords in that way. But this shouldn’t bet an issue at all. This is just very disappointing.

If you always get 1/32 notes when adding notes with the pencil tool, the value in “Length quantize” is probably set to 1/32. You can change it to “Quantize Link” to get the desired behavior.

grafik

If changing the Length Quantize value does not make a difference for you, try starting Cubase in Safe Mode with preferences disabled.

That was it indeed, but it didn’t show on my bar. I had to manually apply it. Thanks for the picture, it made me see that I missed something on my bar. I can now fix the note lengths myself. Thanks again :muscle:

2 Likes