Play from start of flow shortcut now starts scrub playback

I used to have Shift-Alt-spacebar to return to the beginning of the flow in Dorico 4 but now the scrub icon comes up. I would like more than cmd g and 1. I liked the way it worked in Dorico 4

Scrub icon in Dorico 5

Welcome to the forum, John. Unfortunately this is a bit tricky to do, but it can be done if you’re willing to edit the key commands JSON file manually. If you’re on Mac, in the Finder, go to /Users/your-username/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Dorico 5. On Windows, look in %APPDATA%\Steinberg\Dorico 5. You should see a file called keycommands_en.json. Open this in a proper text editor (e.g. Sublime Text, Visual Studio Code, etc.).

You need to add a section that looks like this:

{
			"context": "kMusicEditable",
			"shortcuts": [
				{
					"Play.StartScrubPlayback": [ "DELETE:Alt+Space" ]
				},
				{
					"Play.StartScrubSoloPlayback": [ "DELETE:Shift+Alt+Space" ]
				}
			]
		},

If you already have a section for kMusicEditable in your JSON file, you can just add these two bits, following the same pattern as other shortcuts in the section:

{
					"Play.StartScrubPlayback": [ "DELETE:Alt+Space" ]
				},
				{
					"Play.StartScrubSoloPlayback": [ "DELETE:Shift+Alt+Space" ]
				}

Once you’ve made your edits, save the file, and copy and paste its contents into JSON Lint to check it’s still a valid JSON file. Once all is well, restart Dorico, and you should find that Shift+Alt+Space now plays from the start of the flow as it did before.

Is that the only option to return to the beginning like before?

If you want to use the same Shift+Alt+Space shortcut that you’re used to, yes. You could alternatively assign another shortcut of your choice to play from the start of the flow on the Key Commands page of Preferences.

1 Like

Hi Daniel,

This is weird. On my Mac Mini (running Montery 12.5.1) I was able to do this no problem.

But on my MacBook Pro (running Ventura 13.2.1) there is no such file. I looked in both my user Library & my system Library.

Thoughts/suggestions?

If that file doesn’t exist, it only means that you’ve not yet edited any key commands on that machine. Go and add any key command you like, and then you’ll find that file appears. Or you could copy the file from your other computer, if you prefer.