playback of instrument sounds keeps cutting out

I could reproduce the issue on my home laptop and today I brought it to the office so we could take a deeper.
And actually we found an issue in HALion Sonic SE. My home laptop was still on HSSE 3.1.1, but the current 3.3.1 has already a fix for that issue.
So since I’ve update my home laptop to HSSE 3.3.1 I don’t have that cutting out anymore.

HSSE 3.3.1 can be downloaded for free from here:

Don’t worry about the license that is mentioned on that page, just download the HSSE package and install.
The Dorico license already covers HSSE as well.

So please try with 3.3.1 and let me know how it goes with that.

Wow, thanks!

Same problem here with a cello playback suddenly cutting out at exactly the same moment every single time. Can someone look at the attached project at Flow 4, measures 174–175? From there until almost the end of the piece, the cello stops playing completely, save for a few notes in measures 211–216 (EDIT: I just noticed that the cello starts working again from m. 225 to the end). The keyboard works and the affected cello notes play when I highlight them, but in playback it’s completely broken. The same thing happens when I export to a WAV file. I’ve reentered the notes manually, cut and pasted from other voices, changed the instrument assignments. Nothing helps.

Something makes me think it has to do with the unusual notation of the Violin I in that passage. Earlier, it had notes cutting out at the same moment, but that improved when I reassigned the instrument.
Romberg Op. 67-3.dorico.zip (1.76 MB)

Same here as well. Cello does stop playing at bar 175, Dorico does not even send MIDI data any more to the audio engine. So this one is something that the London boys will need to look at, I will notify them.

Thanks for the speedy reply!

This is an expression map problem. It looks like you’ve loaded the sounds manually, but you haven’t got the corresponding expression maps set up. It’s using the default expression map, but the HSO cello needs one that uses the mod wheel for dynamics. The easiest thing to do is Play > Playback Templates and choose the HSSE+HSO Pro template, and that should set everything up automatically.

Thanks a lot, this did fix the problem, and restored the dynamic range that seemed to have gotten lost earlier as well.

That being said, doing so broke the playback in other movements. Flow 2 seems to be a bit of a whack-a-mole, as different voices stop playing in a seemingly random fashion with each “sf.” If I change a dynamic marking somewhere, the pattern of drop-outs changes.

It’s me again. I honestly do not understand why this keeps happening, but each time I write for a string quartet, voices cut in and out at random. I’ve tried everything: reloading the instrument sets, starting a new file and pasting the content into it, deleting and re-adding notes. Check out the attached file, especially around measure 197 and afterwards. First one instrument cuts out, then another, and then another. At some points only one of the four instruments actually sounds. Any help would be greatly appreciated.Romberg Op. 67-2.dorico (2.3 MB)

Plays back fine here with me. Could you please post a diagnostics report? I doubt it, but maybe I can see something in the logs.

That’s odd, here the problem is remarkably consistent. Dorico Diagnostics.zip (1.0 MB) Here you go.

There is nothing that directly jumps at me, except the fact that you are on HALion Sonic 3.4.0 whereas there is already a newer 3.4.10 version out. Maybe it’s a bug in HALion and it got fixed already. Please grab the latest from HALion Sonic SE 3 updates and downloads | Steinberg and see how that goes.

Thanks for the tip. That did not help, unfortunately. One thing I noticed, however, is that when copying and pasting the musical text into a new file, many of the dynamic markings became corrupted: for instance, a “sf” became a “p” or a “p” became “ff.” This may be related, or may not.
One reason I think it may be related is that I sometimes have a habit of copying and pasting the “sf” and “rf” dynamics, which saves me time since these automatically show up as “sfz” and “rfz.” Could copying and pasting these kinds of markings create a playback issue?

Note that there are Engraving options for the appearance of sf/sfz and rf/rfz, as well as properties for granular changes. Make sure you set the options accordingly to your needs!

The next thing to check is the Options tab of HALion Sonic SE. So bring up the HSSE editor window and choose the Options tab. In the right m/iddle is an option for Multicore usage. Is that switched on with you and if yes, to what value Ideally make it to use 1 or 2 cores less than the total number of (logical) cores.