Playback of ornaments, repeat brackets in repeated sections, attacca, canons

I would like to collect my wishes for future features in this thread:

1. playback of all ornaments: upper and lower mordent, turns and all the baroque ornaments.
  2. playback of repeat brackets within a repeated section: sometimes, especially in songbooks by pop, rock and jazz musicians (my specific example is Muse), you will find repeat brackets within a repeated section rather than at the end, because one or more specific bars are to be played differently or omitted on repeat. By these brackets, I mean those that are normally used to indicate that a different ending should be played on one or more repeats.
  3. “attacca” style playing instructions incl. playback: something as simple but important as transitioning directly from one movement to the next should be possible with an “attacca” style playing instruction that simply sets the default playback pause in Dorico to zero where applied.
  4. playback of canons that are not written out: this feature would make compiling and writing songbooks for schools much nicer if you could notate canons without writing them out, but they would still be played back in full! It would be even cooler if you could even play back complex canons with augmentation/diminution, transposition (with multiple clefs), inversion, retrograde, etc., as J. S. Bach notated them.
  5. (German) symbols of functional harmony for analysis: although there is a font that can be purchased from a third-party provider that can be used to enter the function symbols via the lyrics popover, as this is an unofficial and workaround-like implementation/realisation, it naturally has a few weaknesses. These weaknesses mainly concern the numbers indicating deviant and additional (non-chord) notes, as well as those indicating inversion. I think a full, official implementation would be absolutely useful and sensible, especially for teachers, lecturers and professors. (I know that this form of analysis is mainly used in German-speaking countries, but I think there are enough users there to make it worthwhile.)

I have more ideas for future features, but these are the most important ones for me for now. However, as this thread is open for everyone to express their personal wishes and requests for such things, I’m happy to hear from anyone who can add something here!

Thanks for your suggestions. We’re aware of all of these ideas, and they’re all under consideration for implementation in future.

1 Like

I am delighted to read this! I would like to add one more thing to my list:

Tuplets with different values against each other: Imagine, for example, a section in seven-quaver time in which a player has to play two bar-filling notes of equal length (exact value: double-dotted crotchet) over a longer period of time. It is actually a good idea to notate these in minim duplets. This would be a value ratio of 2h/7e. Unfortunately, this is not yet possible.

Or is it?..
Scherm­afbeelding 2024-09-26 om 17.59.09

Done by first specifying a 8:7e tuplet (this will show a bracket with ‘8’, which I’ve hidden), then adding a nested 2:2h tuplet inside it, just to facilitate showing a ‘2’.

3 Likes

Oh, I forgot about the nested tuplets! Thank you for reminding me!