Players - partial two staves

Will it be possible using the Players setup to have portions of a part in two staves?

The scenario I am thinking of is where, say, an alto sax is preferably doubling on flute but I want to give the option for that section of flute to be played on soprano, could the part go from a single stave alto part to a double stave, one for flute, and one for soprano?

Thanks,

Richard.

Yes, absolutely. If the instruments held by the player are playing at the same time, then they will each get their own stave; otherwise, Dorico will automatically create the necessary transition on a single stave between the passages of music played by each instrument.

Thanks Daniel, that is a great feature.

Players feature sounds absolutely genius. Many thanks Daniel and co.

There are scenarios where, for string divisi parts, one staff will be fine in the score (for the conductor to read) but where the same part for the players will (occationally) require 2 or more staves for better legibility. How is this handled?

Dorico is designed to make these kinds of flexible requirements easy to handle. We will not have every aspect of this covered in our initial release, but we have big plans. The end-game for the whole notion of players holding instruments and independent layouts that combine them in interesting ways will become fully apparent over time, but not in the very first version.

For more equally cryptic information on this topic, please see:

For me, the “endgame” of this is the most exciting part of Dorico that I’ve heard about so far. More important than chord symbols (smiley face).

Hi
I’ve been reading most of the articles and Daniels blog since the beginning of the process and I’m looking forward to the release. But I’m not sure I completely understand the principle of Players when it comes to instrument doublings.
Does it work more like a sequencer where I add a separate track for every sounding instrument instead of making instrument changes in the same track as in Sibelius. If that’s the case I think I get it.

Yes, Mats, that’s basically it. You simply assign, say, flute and piccolo to the same player, and you’ll see two staves in galley view (scroll view, if you prefer) and in system view (which shows each system one after the other, laid out left to right, effectively with a variable page height depending on the number of staves shown in each system, including in the case of doublings, both of the individual instruments belonging to the player as separate staves). You input the music as if the instruments are held by completely separate players, and when you switch to page view, Dorico will automatically create appropriate transitions between the two instruments on a single stave.

Just to clarify, Daniel, where you say “appropriate transitions between the two instruments on a single stave” I understand from your previous comment that if there is music in both staves for a player, then the part will have two staves as well.

Yes, if there is music written for both instruments at the same time, then you’ll see two staves.

I specifically asked about these types of situations on the Making Notes Blog (as did others) and I recall that the response way coy, but encouraging (e.g., we know that this is a shortcoming in existing notation apps, and we have plans to address it . . . ). I have a feeling that this is going to end up being one of Dorico’s biggest strengths.