Playing back Dolby Atmos from Nuendo 11 - where is the (or my brain) gap?

That’s great news to hear for sure! One question. Did you use the command line interface to point to the source and destination for the file or just edit a copy of the template for the encode? I used the command line and had issues. The license was causing issues for me when attempting this for some reason unfortunately.

Although I’m no expert on Atmos , I’m confused about the original request.
If you want to pan a signal around the room in true Atmos you use objects, not the bed.

Cinema Atmos beds are 10 channels wide.
LCR front, four surround arrays and two ceiling arrays.
If you want to pan anything else outside of that format you have to create dedicated object buses.
Doing anything custom outside of that bed format really is outside of the Atmos standard. Not saying it isn’t possible, but how it will be dealt with will depend on the playback setup.
Sure it’s great to be able to use the four dedicated ceiling speakers you have. A cinema may have MANY more ceiling speakers so what you send to your four ceiling speakers may not quite translate the way you hope. And most Home Entertainment setups will have L/R ceiling only.

Isn’t the trick to actually use the objects as normal as that will use the Atmos decoder adapt the panning as needed to the playback system.

Or am I missing something?

I don’t think you’re missing anything.

I have heard though that some people disliked the limitation of only two ceiling channels for the bed when using for example reverbs, i.e. something less ‘pointed’ as a source. They chose as a solution to use objects to ‘anchor’ at least four channels in the ceiling in order to make the reverb wider in that elevation layer. That’s what I recall, and perhaps that’s part of what people were thinking.

(… Guldager… intressant efternamn!)

Sure but then if you want to pan those channels you just move them as objects?
Why all the complications?
Defina a quad group and assign it to four object sound paths, doesn’t that work? Note I have not teted anything yet for Atmos really Im just thinking aloud and may well be incorrect somehow.

(danskt efternamn för min far härstammar från den danska byn Guldager, Guldager betyder guld-åker på svenska, påtods att någon i byn en gång hittade guld i en åker, fan trot)

@Rexler,

yes, the encode was done at the command line.

The license (-file ? ) was not (yet) an issue for me. Used the “-l license.lic” command line option. Found also, that you can copy the license file into the folder, where the DEE.exe is.

Did not change the xml-template. Just did put the DEE encode command into a small powershell-script and supplied the few necessary options (-x xml -a adm -o mpl), plus some manipulation for the file name of the output file.

To make the mlp-output playable on my AVR, I used ffmpeg to put it into an mkv-file.

@Eric,

there is a longer story behind that.

I am after a 5.1.4 or 7.1.4 config, predominantly audio-only for music in 3D.

Sufficient for me would be a 5.1.4 config. It is also perfect for utilizing the 10-channel-bed of Atmos. Panning with objects is for me a nice add-on.

But currently, in N11 the 5.1.4 config is broken for Atmos and cannot be used. The weird looking stuff above is just to circumvent this lack by using a 7.1.4 config.

Important for me is, that I can differentiate between Top-Front and Top-Back in order to get a full 3D-representation for music. You can’t get there with a x.x.2 config.

Another reason is (as Mattias also mentioned), that you may want to e.g. apply 3D-Reverb. To my understanding, this makes only reasonable sense if applying it to a full 7.1.4 group so that you get correct 3D-reflections.

Applying reverb to e.g. a stereo track, which then feeds as two objects into Atmos does not result in correct 3D-reflections.

That is how I think about it. I may be wrong.

LG, Juergi

Yes, it works. Sorry, I actually suggested that in a post that I linked to earlier in this thread, so I didn’t fully understand your reference. We’re in agreement.

Ah… “ager”… Läste det först som gul+dager… Dags att släktforska och hitta ditt gyllene arv kanske? (gyllene skor?)

Thank you Jeurgi for giving me the confidence to go back at it again w/ DEE! I was also now finally able to successfully create an mlp and came to find my syntax was just wrong the first few tries. I truly appreciate being able to bounce this these things off each other here! I am going to give this app a try this weekend for muxing. Looks promising on paper and offers some good options from what I can tell.

http://www.surroundbyus.com/sbu/viewtopic.php?p=788#p788